Does Clothesline Sag Affect Laundry Load Capacity? Find Out Here!

• Thread starter dvyu
  • Start date
In summary, the tension of a rope determines when it will break. A rope with greater tension is more likely to break. This can be seen by comparing the tension created when a rope sags 1 cm versus 10 cm. The greater the sag, the less the tension and the more likely the rope is to break. This was illustrated by a story of students at Stanford who tore a window out of a wall by using all their might to increase the tension on a rope holding a heavy keg.
dvyu
I am not sure how to tell whether a clothes line loaded with wet laundry would be more likely to break if had a significant sag or if it had almost no sag at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
What determines when the clothesline will break?

how do you tell though

so the if a rope has greater tension, it will be more likely to break??

Exactly. Assume the rope can supply a certain maximum tension (its breaking strength). Which situation requires greater tension?

Imagine a 3 m rope supporting a 10 kg mass hung in the center. Compare the tension created if the rope sags 1 cm versus sagging 10 cm. Which implies the greater rope tension?

thank you so much or your help - so i hve found that the greater the sag, the less the tension and therefore the less the sag the more likely it is to break. Thanks again.

I remember reading in a book that some student's at the author's school (Stanford) tied a rope between two windows and attached a keg to it. They used all their might to get the keg as high off the ground as possible (increasing the tension) and they ended up tearing the window out of the wall in the process!

Maybe that will help you to never forget this physical fact. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Wow - that made me laugh - I think that will help to remember - thank you

What do people mean when they say "I feel like an idiot but"?

When someone says "I feel like an idiot but", they are expressing a feeling of embarrassment, shame, or self-doubt about something they have done or said.

Why do people say "I feel like an idiot but"?

People say "I feel like an idiot but" to acknowledge their mistake or to show humility. It can also be used as a self-deprecating way to ask for forgiveness or understanding.

Is saying "I feel like an idiot but" a sign of low self-esteem?

Not necessarily. While it can indicate a lack of confidence or self-worth in some cases, it can also be a way for someone to take responsibility for their actions and show vulnerability.

How should I respond when someone says "I feel like an idiot but"?

The best response would depend on the situation and the person's tone. You can offer words of support and understanding, or simply acknowledge their feelings by saying something like "I understand how you feel" or "It's okay, we all make mistakes."

Can constantly saying "I feel like an idiot but" be harmful?

If someone is constantly putting themselves down and using this phrase as a way to seek validation or attention, it can be harmful to their self-esteem. It is important to address any underlying issues and work on building self-confidence.