I figuring out the kg of ice can you melt

  • Thread starter Thread starter cwalker8184
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cwalker8184
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The exact question is "how many kg of ice can you melt, assuming it is at the melting point, with 178,000 cal of heat"

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I can't give any other imformation. I have know idea where to even, start with solving this problem. I really need help! Big test tomorrow...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well how much Joules is 178,000 calories? What formula will show you the energy required to melt 'm' kilograms of ice? (Hint: what equation do you use for heat required to change the phase of a substance? Not sensible heat but?)
 
The equation for heat I believe is Q = mcΔT or Q=cpmΔT
I am still totally lost. I have no ideas how many joules are in 178,000 calories all this looks pretty foreign to me. I need help breaking this down, to have any chance of passing this test tomorrow.
 
cwalker8184 said:
The equation for heat I believe is Q = mcΔT or Q=cpmΔT

Right, that's the equation if I want to find how much heat I need to raise the temperature of something. That's called sensible heat.


cwalker8184 said:
I am still totally lost. I have no ideas how many joules are in 178,000 calories all this looks pretty foreign to me. I need help breaking this down, to have any chance of passing this test tomorrow.

Have you ever heard of latent heat?