Help with 3 Math Questions: Proving Differentiability & More

• Thread starter antibody
  • Start date
In summary, the first problem states that if f(a) equals g(a) and the left-hand derivative of f at a equals the right-hand derivative of g at a, then h(x) can be defined as f(x) for x<=a and g(x) for x>=a. It can then be proven that h is differentiable at a. The second problem involves proving that if f satisfies /f(x)/ >= /x/^B and f(0)=0, then f is not differentiable at 0, where B is a constant between 0 and 1. To prove this, one can use the definition of differentiability and show that the limit does not exist when x=0.Lastly, the third
antibody
1. Suppose that f(a)=g(a) and the left-hand derivative of f at a equals the right-hand derivative of g at a. Define h(x)=f(x) for x<=a, and h(x)=g(x) for x>=a. Prove that h is differentiable at a.

2. Let 0<B<1. Prove that if f satisfies /f(x)/ >= /x/^B and f(0)=0, then f is not differentiable at 0.

the sign / / is absolute value.

3. Let f(x)=x^n for x>=0 and let f(x)=0 for x<=0. Prove that f^(n-1)exists and find a formula for it, but that f^(n) (0) does not exist.

Can someone help me out with these problems? thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work on homework questions before we can help you.

cristo said:

Yep. That, and homework goes in the Homework Help section, not the Math section.

So, antibody, let's see what are you got so far.

cristo said:

for the second one , i know how to prove the converse, like let B>1, if f satisfies /f(x)/ <=/x/^B, prove that f is differentiable at 0,

this one will be easier, first let x=0 then f(0)=0, and i know to prove some fn is differentiable at some point x, it means to prove lim(h->0) f(x+h)-f(x) /h = some number( here is 0 since the prob has given)

i guess i can do the same thing to the second one, but i m not sure how to write a religious proof.

and same thing happens to quesntion no.3 ...

if the question gives me some precise function, i probably can solve it,
but this one i am still working on it, my idea is
x^n when x>=0
f(x)=
0 when x<=0

so the f ' (x) = n x^(n-1) when x>0 and f ' (x)=0 when x<0 then use the left and right limit to see if f ' (x) exists when x=0. Right?

and again..i am not very familiar with this kind of proof right now,, since we just spent a week on this topic, and i am not sure when we need to use delta-epsilon proof on the question...

1. How do I prove differentiability of a function?

To prove differentiability of a function, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient exists as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. This can be done by using the definition of the derivative, evaluating the limit, and showing that the resulting expression is finite. You can also use other techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem or the Cauchy-Riemann equations to prove differentiability.

2. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are related concepts, but they are not the same. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, meaning that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to the existence of the derivative of a function at a particular point. A function can be continuous without being differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it is always continuous.

3. What is the chain rule and how do I use it?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of the individual functions multiplied together. To use the chain rule, you need to identify the inner and outer functions, and then apply the formula: (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

4. How do I determine if a function is differentiable at a point?

A function is differentiable at a point if the limit of the difference quotient exists as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. This means that the left and right-hand limits must be equal, and the resulting expression must be finite. Additionally, the function must also be continuous at that point. If any of these conditions are not met, the function is not differentiable at that point.

5. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable but not continuous. As mentioned earlier, differentiability implies continuity. If a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. However, the converse is not true – a function can be continuous but not differentiable at a point.