Chicken Pox at 26: Should I Be Worried? Tips for Preventing Scars and Remedies

• Thread starter vipulj
  • Start date
In summary, the person is 26 years old and has recently developed chicken pox, not realizing it until visiting a doctor. They are curious if anyone else has experienced chicken pox in adulthood and if it is severe. They are looking for advice on preventing scars and remedies, and someone jokingly mentions the potential for shingles. Different treatments, such as oatmeal-based body wash and calamine lotion, are suggested. The person is concerned about scarring and pressing the blisters may have caused damage.
vipulj
Chicken pox at 26!
Rashes started appearing suddenly 2 days back and I didn't know until I visited the doctor today evening.
I wonder is anyone else here has had a bout of chicken pox in adulthood.
Is it really bad?
What precautions should I take to prevent after-scars from the pox?
Any other remedy that works?
:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, that's not good. :frown:

http://www.nfid.org/factsheets/varicellaadult.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let the pustules get infected. Wash them gently.

On our kids, we used an oatmeal-based body wash, Aveeno.

Bit of calamine lotion for the pustules and you'll be fine! My mate caught it aged 21, how we laughed (only to make light of the potential severity of his condition of course!)

vipulj said:
Chicken pox at 26!

Watch out for shingles at 46.

Les Sleeth said:
Watch out for shingles at 46.

:rofl: :rofl: A woman I know, who's fifty six, has the shingles... :tongue2:

Calamine lotion didn't seem to work for me at all. It just got all dry and pink. My itch factor didn't seem to decrease.

I slightly pressed some of the blisters initially when I didn't know it was pox.
I hope they don't turn into scars. :((

1. What is chicken pox?

Chicken pox, also known as varicella, is a highly contagious infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. It is characterized by a red, itchy rash that develops into small, fluid-filled blisters. Other symptoms may include fever, headache, and fatigue.

2. Can you get chicken pox at 26?

Yes, it is possible for someone to get chicken pox at 26 years old. While it is more common in children, anyone who has not had chicken pox or been vaccinated against it can still contract the virus.

3. Should I be worried if I have chicken pox at 26?

In most cases, chicken pox is a mild illness and should not cause serious concern for a healthy 26-year-old. However, it is important to monitor for any complications that may arise and seek medical attention if necessary.

4. How can I prevent scarring from chicken pox?

To prevent scarring from chicken pox, it is important to avoid scratching the blisters as much as possible. You can also apply calamine lotion or take oatmeal baths to soothe the itching. It is also important to keep the affected areas clean and avoid picking at scabs.

5. Are there any remedies for chicken pox?

While there is no specific cure for chicken pox, there are some remedies that can help alleviate symptoms and promote healing. These include taking over-the-counter pain relievers, using topical creams or ointments, and staying hydrated. It is also important to rest and avoid contact with others to prevent spreading the virus.