I hate Trigonometric Subsitution

In summary, Tom suggests that if the substitution x->sin x is redudant, then the integral I is split into 2 integrals: I_{1}=\int (\cos^{2}x -\cos^{2}x\sin^{2}x) dx and I_{2}=\int \sin^{2}x\sin^{2}x dx. I_{1} is the difference between the first intergral and the second, while I_{2} is the sum of I_{1} and I_{2}.
Tom McCurdy
How would you do

[tex] \int (1-x^2)^{3/2} [/tex]

after you get to the point where you have made the triangle and you have

[tex] x=sin\theta [/tex]

and

[tex] dx=cos\theta [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah,Tom,with the substitution it becomes
[tex] \int \cos^{4}x dx [/tex]

What would u do next??

Daniel.

thats the problem... lol
I was able to get to that point... I just don't know how to get to the answer... I checked it on my calcutor and found a really long answer.

Tom, how about

[tex] \int \cos^{4}x dx [/tex]

[tex] \int (\cos^{2}x)^{2} dx [/tex]

[tex] \int ( \frac{1 + \cos 2x}{2})^{2} dx [/tex]

Edit: It was redudant, This is better, Yes dextercioby, i fixed it now, sorry for that :tongue2:

Last edited:
Call your integral 'I'.I'm sure u still remember that:
[tex]\cos^{4}x=\cos^{2}(1-\sin^{2}x) [/tex]
Then 'I' is split into 2 integrals:
[tex] I=\int (\cos^{2}x -\cos^{2}x\sin^{2}x) dx [/tex]
Call the first integral by [itex]I_{1} [/itex]
[tex] I_{1}=\int \cos^{2} x dx [/tex]

HINT:[tex] \cos^{2}x=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos 2x) [/tex]

Call the second integral by [itex] I_{2} [/itex]
[tex] I_{2}=\int \cos^{2}x\sin^{2}x dx [/tex]

HINT:[tex]\sin 2x=2\sin x\cos x [/tex]
[tex] \sin^{2} 2x=\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos 4x) [/tex]

Then
[tex] I=I_{1}-I_{2} [/tex]

To return to the initial variable (remember u made the substitution x->sin x),simply make the 'x' in your result for 'I' go to [itex] \arcsin x [/itex] (i.e.reverse the substitution).

Good luck!I'm going to go to bed now.By the time i get up,u'd better have it done... :wink:

Daniel.

EDIT:Cyclovenom,don't give him bad advice... :grumpy:

Last edited:

sorry didn't finish it... or the rest of the homework

I got Iintegral one down to

[tex] 1/2 \int (x + \frac{sin2x}{2} ) [/tex]

I started

I2 but I wasn't sure where the [tex]sin^22x[/tex] hint came in since it was just sin

Anyway I prob just didn't spend ennuogh time on it... I willl actually work on it some before that class...

Okay,let's check it:
[tex] I_{1}=\frac{1}{2}\int (1+\cos 2x) dx=\frac{1}{2}(x+\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x)=\frac{x}{2}+\frac{\sin 2x}{4} [/tex](1)

Yous still has the integral sign.Maybe it was a typo...

[tex] I_{2}=\int \sin^{2}x\cos^{2}x dx=\frac{1}{4}\int \sin^{2} 2x =\frac{1}{8}\int (1-\cos 4x) dx=\frac{1}{8}(x-\frac{1}{4}\sin 4x)=\frac{x}{8}-\frac{\sin 4x}{32}[/tex] (2)

Now 'I' is the difference between the first intergral and the second,viz.
[tex] I=(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{x}{8})+\frac{\sin 2x}{4}+\frac{\sin 4x}{32} =\frac{3x}{8}+\frac{\sin 2x}{4}+\frac{\sin 4x}{32} [/tex] (3)

I'll let u invert the substitution [itex] x\rightarrow \arcsin x [/itex].

Daniel.

What is Trigonometric Substitution?

Trigonometric Substitution is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a trigonometric function.

Why do people hate Trigonometric Substitution?

Some people may find Trigonometric Substitution difficult to understand or use, which can lead to frustration and dislike for the technique.

Can Trigonometric Substitution be avoided in math problems?

In some cases, Trigonometric Substitution can be avoided by using other integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts. However, it is an important tool in solving certain types of integrals.

How can I improve my understanding of Trigonometric Substitution?

To improve your understanding of Trigonometric Substitution, it is important to practice and review the basic principles of trigonometry and integrals. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources or work with a tutor.

Are there any real-life applications for Trigonometric Substitution?

Trigonometric Substitution is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving integrals with trigonometric functions. It has practical applications in areas such as calculating work and energy in mechanical systems.