1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question about force exerted by magnetic field

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    W.college physics problem.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I uploaded the problem which I want to solve. Getting a general expression for magnetic field created by plane is difficult, I solve it another method.
    X is still larger than W, we can think palne current as just a infinite wire.
    Furthermore, because of large X, magnetic field of z-direction around z=0 is considered as a constant. (magnetic field has x,y dependence and x is still larger than w. So, of course, magnetic field affected by x coordinate is dominant.)
    Consequently, z-dependence will be vanish and gradient potential has no z dependence.
    So, a force has a just x direction component.
    Is it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I think the problem wants you to quantify the result. You need to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field ## B ## as a function of distance from the wire to the loop. You also need to determine the magnitude of the magnetic moment ## m ## of the loop as well as the direction. Can you write an expression of the energy ## U ## of the magnetic moment in the magnetic field? ## \vec{F}=- \nabla U ##.

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3
    First, thank you for your reply.
    As you have said, problem wants quantify solution. But, I want to just know my logic is correct.
    For getting more help I`ll calculate based on my logic.
    If X is much larger than W, as I mentioned before, z dependence of the magnetic field and gradient about z can be negligible because of large X( dominant effect).
    And there is no y dependence because of current distribution.
    So, If I want to caculate force, we have to know magnetic field only about x coordinate.

upload_2016-10-22_11-18-23.gif (magnetic moment)

upload_2016-10-22_11-37-13.gif

Hence, U

upload_2016-10-22_11-36-42.gif

F

upload_2016-10-22_11-39-0.gif

Is it correct?

Attached Files:

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Looks somewhat good. The magnetic field with the natural log could then be expanded in a Taylor series. Qualitatively, you can work out the direction of the result. Does ## m ## point in the same direction as ## B ## ? ## U=-m \cdot B ##. Suggest you check the sign on ## U ##. The system will tend to go to a state of lower energy. If ## U ## is positive, this will mean the force will push the loop to a direction where ## B ## is lower in amplitude. Also, I might point out that this one has a coordinate system with the x coordinate set up in such a manner that it makes it difficult to use formulas like ## F=- \nabla U ## and get the sign correct. For this formula to work, x needs to be the position of the loop. That is essentially given by ## X ## and not ## x ##.

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

Thank you for your help. But I have a question.
    You said that "Looks somewhat good". Is it mean that not only my calculation but also assumption(neglect z coordinate) is good?

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Most of it, including neglecting the z-coordinate is correct. The ## B ## and ## m ## point in opposite directions though, if I'm not mistaken. Please verify this. This means ## U ## is positive. editing... Also expand ## ln(1+u)=u ## for small ## u ## will make your algebra/gradient operation simpler.

8. Oct 21, 2016 #7
    Thank you for your help.
    I missed out - sigh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted