I have a question about force exerted by magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a loop and a wire, and the task is to determine the magnetic field, magnetic moment, and energy of the system. The main point of the conversation is to verify the logic and assumptions made in solving the problem, such as neglecting the z-coordinate and determining the direction of the magnetic field and magnetic moment. The conversation also includes suggestions for simplifying the calculations.
gaus12777

Homework Statement

W.college physics problem.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded the problem which I want to solve. Getting a general expression for magnetic field created by plane is difficult, I solve it another method.
X is still larger than W, we can think palne current as just a infinite wire.
Furthermore, because of large X, magnetic field of z-direction around z=0 is considered as a constant. (magnetic field has x,y dependence and x is still larger than w. So, of course, magnetic field affected by x coordinate is dominant.)
Consequently, z-dependence will be vanish and gradient potential has no z dependence.
So, a force has a just x direction component.
Is it right? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem wants you to quantify the result. You need to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field ## B ## as a function of distance from the wire to the loop. You also need to determine the magnitude of the magnetic moment ## m ## of the loop as well as the direction. Can you write an expression of the energy ## U ## of the magnetic moment in the magnetic field? ## \vec{F}=- \nabla U ##.

Charles Link said:
I think the problem wants you to quantify the result. You need to determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field ## B ## as a function of distance from the wire to the loop. You also need to determine the magnitude of the magnetic moment ## m ## of the loop as well as the direction. Can you write an expression of the energy ## U ## of the magnetic moment in the magnetic field? ## \vec{F}=- \nabla U ##.

First, thank you for your reply.
As you have said, problem wants quantify solution. But, I want to just know my logic is correct.
For getting more help I`ll calculate based on my logic.
If X is much larger than W, as I mentioned before, z dependence of the magnetic field and gradient about z can be negligible because of large X( dominant effect).
And there is no y dependence because of current distribution.
So, If I want to caculate force, we have to know magnetic field only about x coordinate.
upload_2016-10-22_11-18-23.gif
(magnetic moment)

upload_2016-10-22_11-37-13.gif

Hence, U

upload_2016-10-22_11-36-42.gif
F

upload_2016-10-22_11-39-0.gif
Is it correct?

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-22_11-17-49.gif
    upload_2016-10-22_11-17-49.gif
    313 bytes · Views: 371
  • upload_2016-10-22_11-17-49.gif
    upload_2016-10-22_11-17-49.gif
    313 bytes · Views: 381
  • upload_2016-10-22_11-18-17.gif
    upload_2016-10-22_11-18-17.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 386
  • upload_2016-10-22_11-36-20.gif
    upload_2016-10-22_11-36-20.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 392
Looks somewhat good. The magnetic field with the natural log could then be expanded in a Taylor series. Qualitatively, you can work out the direction of the result. Does ## m ## point in the same direction as ## B ## ? ## U=-m \cdot B ##. Suggest you check the sign on ## U ##. The system will tend to go to a state of lower energy. If ## U ## is positive, this will mean the force will push the loop to a direction where ## B ## is lower in amplitude. Also, I might point out that this one has a coordinate system with the x coordinate set up in such a manner that it makes it difficult to use formulas like ## F=- \nabla U ## and get the sign correct. For this formula to work, x needs to be the position of the loop. That is essentially given by ## X ## and not ## x ##.

Charles Link said:
Looks somewhat good. The magnetic field with the natural log could then be expanded in a Taylor series. Qualitatively, you can work out the direction of the result. Does ## m ## point in the same direction as ## B ## ? ## U=-m \cdot B ##. Suggest you check the sign on ## U ##. The system will tend to go to a state of lower energy. If ## U ## is positive, this will mean the force will push the loop to a direction where ## B ## is lower. Also, I might point out that this one has a coordinate system with the x coordinate set up in such a manner that it makes it difficult to use formulas like ## F=- \nabla U ## and get the sign correct. For this formula to work, x needs to be the position of the loop. That is essentially given by ## X ## and not ## x ##.
Thank you for your help. But I have a question.
You said that "Looks somewhat good". Is it mean that not only my calculation but also assumption(neglect z coordinate) is good?

gaus12777 said:
Thank you for your help. But I have a question.
You said that "Looks somewhat good". Is it mean that not only my calculation but also assumption(neglect z coordinate) is good?
Most of it, including neglecting the z-coordinate is correct. The ## B ## and ## m ## point in opposite directions though, if I'm not mistaken. Please verify this. This means ## U ## is positive. editing... Also expand ## ln(1+u)=u ## for small ## u ## will make your algebra/gradient operation simpler.

Charles Link said:
Most of it, including neglecting the z-coordinate is correct. The ## B ## and ## m ## point in opposite directions though, if I'm not mistaken. Please verify this. This means ## U ## is positive. editing... Also expand ## ln(1+u)=u ## for small ## u ## will make your algebra/gradient operation simpler.

Thank you for your help.
I missed out - sigh

Likes Charles Link

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is exerted by magnetic fields on charged particles, such as electrons or protons, that are moving through the field.

2. How is magnetic force different from other forces?

Magnetic force is unique because it only affects charged particles that are in motion, while other forces, such as gravity or electric force, can act on stationary objects as well.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the charged particle, and the angle between the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can magnetic force be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, magnetic force can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the orientation of the magnetic fields of the two interacting particles. Like magnetic poles repel each other, while opposite magnetic poles attract each other.

5. How is magnetic force utilized in everyday life?

Magnetic force has many practical applications, such as in generators and motors, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in medicine. It is also used in electronic devices, such as speakers and hard drives.