I just failed the Physics GRE, now what?

In summary, the individual is concerned about their low score on the Physics GRE and how it will affect their chances of being accepted into a Physics PhD program. They have already taken the test again and are waiting for the results, but their GPA is also below average and they are unsure if they will be able to get into any programs. They have done a lot of extracurricular work and have four senior faculty members who have agreed to write recommendation letters. The conversation also touches on the importance of letters of recommendation and the competitiveness of graduate school admissions. The individual believes they will do well in graduate school due to their experience with independent research, but others in the conversation mention the importance of good grades and test scores.

What would you consider a "safety school" for their Physics PhD program?

• LSU

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • University of South Carolina

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • University of Alabama

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Miami University

• Georgia State University

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Tufts University

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boston University

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Arizona State University

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Vanderbilt University

• University of Florida

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • University of Nebraska

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
undergrad_phy
So I know you can't technically "fail" the Physics GRE, but I came about as close as you can- so low that I really wish I didn't take it at all, like I wish the schools were left to wonder what I might have made instead of knowing what I made on this. So low that I'd rather not even mention it here. (Hint: a single digit percentage of people who took the test scored lower than I did.) I have already taken the test again since I took this particular test, but the results for the second time around won't be back until late December.

My question is this: where do I go from here? Will this completely ruin any chance I have of being accepted into any Physics PhD program anywhere?

A little background about myself: I'm currently in my third year of study at a major public university after transferring from a local community college, (so my fifth year as an undergraduate overall). My GPA is somewhat below average for someone looking into grad school, (2.7 on a 4.0 scale). However I've done a ton of extracurricular work, from Society of Physics Students, to undergraduate teaching assistantships, to undergraduate research with two different faculty members. I already have four senior faculty members that have agreed to write recommendation letters for me for graduate school.

I also took the General GRE Test back in April and score 590(84%) Verbal, 630(54%) quantitative, and 5.0(84%) analytical.

So would it be possible to get into a Physics PhD program now, even at an unranked, low prestige institution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a 10% on the PGRE, got into several grad schools for physics, passed the qualifiers with no problem, successfully defended my PhD a few months ago, and just started a great postdoc. However, I had a very high college GPA and a lot of research experience to offset the fact that I didn't memorize many equations at my top liberal arts school. A low PGRE combined with a poor GPA means you probably won't get into any programs; the GPA will hurt you more than the PGRE score.

Keep in mind that even low ranked schools (which tend to be low ranked because they have small program, and rankings are directly correlated to the number of PhDs you graduate each year) have a GPA cutoff of 3.0 in most cases and expect much higher. With a 2.7 GPA, no grad school is a safety school.

Eri is right - the low grades reinforce the low GRE scores. I think you also have to realize a 2.7 is not "somewhat below average for someone looking into grad school". It's very far below average. Remember in grad school a C is considered failing, so an average below 3.0 sends the message that you can't handle undergraduate classes at the level expected, which doesn't bode well for graduate classes.

Second, there are some very good schools on your list, even if they are not "big names". They can afford to be picky.

I think the first question you need to ask is "why do you think you will do well in graduate school, despite your record?". Your SOP needs to bring this out. The next thing you need to do is to get your professor's letters in the hands of people who know them personally. Otherwise the natural thing to do is for the admissions committee to select someone with good letters AND good grades and scores.

Vanadium 50 said:
Eri is right - the low grades reinforce the low GRE scores. I think you also have to realize a 2.7 is not "somewhat below average for someone looking into grad school". It's very far below average. Remember in grad school a C is considered failing, so an average below 3.0 sends the message that you can't handle undergraduate classes at the level expected, which doesn't bode well for graduate classes.

Second, there are some very good schools on your list, even if they are not "big names". They can afford to be picky.

I think the first question you need to ask is "why do you think you will do well in graduate school, despite your record?". Your SOP needs to bring this out. The next thing you need to do is to get your professor's letters in the hands of people who know them personally. Otherwise the natural thing to do is for the admissions committee to select someone with good letters AND good grades and scores.

That's true. I guess what I've thought until this point was that graduate level classes would be more independently oriented and less test-based. I've done quite a bit of independent research and I've excelled at it. (I've always been able to write better than take tests). I guess that's why I felt like I would do better at grad school.

Also, I guess I figured that a 2.7 was really closer to a B- than a C+ (while still considered a C+), and I didn't think that everyone getting into physics graduate school would have a much, much higher GPA than that. (although this certainly may be the case)

However, you both bring up interesting points. Is it unreasonable for me to *expect* to get in, at least *somewhere*? I suppose underlying my thinking until this point has been the notion that there was a complete "curve" of grad schools, with a few very good ones, lots in the middle, and a few that would accept you if you had points on your resume but low gpa and test scores. Is this line of thinking false?

Your line of thinking was indeed false. Even low-ranked schools often have excellent programs, they're simply smaller, and can still be picky - many still accept fewer than 10% of applicants. Your first few years of grad school will mostly consist of coursework, which is like undergraduate work but a lot harder and more of it, and you'll almost certainly have to pass a qualifying exam before you get into the real research.

I see what you're saying. What about the schools that don't require a PGRE score? If I left that blank could I still get into a less competitive school with my research experience and reasonable General GRE score, or is it not worth trying?

Reasonable GRE scores? Hate to break it to you, the quantitative is the one that counts, and 630 is pretty bad. It's high school math. The 50% you beat are probably all applying to humanities programs.

Honestly, even if you can convince some schools to accept you, grad school is not going to be a fun place for you. You may be able to do research up to a certain level, but grad school is supposed to make you an independent researcher. In order to do that, you need the theoretical and analytical skills to inform everything you do in the lab. Without those, you are just going to be a lab monkey, and you will feel like crap since other students will be running circles around you. Just get a job, you can still work in a lab and do research, but you won't be expected to be a star at the mathematical or theoretical aspects.

It might sound like I'm being harsh, but you need to realize how many people go into a PhD program who never should have. It's easy to think that if you get in, you're golden. Go talk to some grad students and see how much they complain. You're not going to think it's fun, and it's not going to help your life unless you're one of the ones who is going to become a strong, independent researcher. If you think you can do that with your lack of quantitative ability, you are fooling yourself.

One thing I would suggest you do is apply at the universities that the professors you've worked for graduated from. To echo what everyone has said, on paper your application is going to look terrible and it does scream out "I am not prepared for graduate school". However, if you are a good researcher and do have potential and you have professors who graduated from not so great universities, you might have a chance there. It might require going above and beyond the "can you write me a letter of recommendation" request and see if they can put a good word for you... though I'm not even sure how that would work.

undergrad_phy said:
Also, I guess I figured that a 2.7 was really closer to a B- than a C+ (while still considered a C+), and I didn't think that everyone getting into physics graduate school would have a much, much higher GPA than that. (although this certainly may be the case)

Every grad school I've seen has a hard cut-off at 3.0 GPA. A few have said they might consider others, if everything else makes up for it. In your case, your poor GRE scores do not make up for your poor GPA.

You barely passed undergrad, I can't figure out why you think you can suddenly do well in the next step up.

Jack21222 said:
Every grad school I've seen has a hard cut-off at 3.0 GPA. A few have said they might consider others, if everything else makes up for it. In your case, your poor GRE scores do not make up for your poor GPA.

You barely passed undergrad, I can't figure out why you think you can suddenly do well in the next step up.

Hmmm... fairly bleak sentiments. I may be under prepared for graduate study, but I was unaware that having a GPA just below B- meant I "barely passed". (When you get a 78 on an exam, do you feel like you "barely passed"?)

In addition, the feeling I'm getting here is that grad school is basically "like undergraduate classes, but harder, and you can't fall below a 3.0" for the first few years. That comes as a surprise to me, but I'm here to be surprised, I suppose.

I guess the over-arching theme to this thread seems to be that I should apply for some lower-tier grad schools, if my professors know someone there, but not to hold my breath. (And to apply for jobs that only require a bachelor's degree at the same time.)

Yah i feel like I barely passed getting a 78 on an exam as a grad student :(

You can also apply to a Masters program and then move on to a phd program! A Masters program can help you get a better idea if pursuing a PhD is actually a good choice for you. Plus it's 2 years that will improve your knowledge of physics and hopefully make you look better to a graduate school.

An interesting option, to be sure. However I've read that admissions committees look at PhD program applicants more favorably that MS program applicants. Would you agree with this?

undergrad_phy said:
An interesting option, to be sure. However I've read that admissions committees look at PhD program applicants more favorably that MS program applicants. Would you agree with this?

I agree with the idea of applying for a Masters program. This can be your proving ground. Despite the bleak statements, you have to realize that these opinions are accurate, but based on averages or typical cases, and there are always exceptions to rules. You clearly feel that you have something inside you that will come out in a grad environment. The simple thing to do is apply to many Masters programs, and you should get accepted somewhere. Then work as hard as you can to prove everyone wrong. Even if it turns out that you are not able to excel to the level of getting accepted to a PhD program, the Masters degree would give you a chance to get an applied research job, which is probably where you want to be eventually.

It's true that most programs that offer a PhD won't really want to accept people only doing a masters; leaving with a masters is equivalent to dropping out in the rankings, so it's in their best interests only to invest in students planning to do a PhD. So you'd want to find some terminal masters programs that don't include a PhD and see if you can get into those. I know some of the Rutgers satellite campuses have them.

Yeah, absolutely, and thank you all for the encouraging posts. I feel like I have a more realistic idea of my goals now.

And my girlfriend just said that it looked like I was being sarcastic when I said "thank you all for the encouraging posts", but I totally wasn't. :) I do appreciate your help.

undergrad_phy said:
Hmmm... fairly bleak sentiments. I may be under prepared for graduate study, but I was unaware that having a GPA just below B- meant I "barely passed". (When you get a 78 on an exam, do you feel like you "barely passed"?)

I've never gotten a 78 or below on an exam, but if I did, I would not feel like I barely passed. I would feel like I failed. But that's just me; I hold ridiculous standards for myself that I don't hold for other people.

But anyway, yes, a C is barely passing, because one grade lower, a D, is failing (for any class in your major, at least at my university).

In addition, the feeling I'm getting here is that grad school is basically "like undergraduate classes, but harder, and you can't fall below a 3.0" for the first few years. That comes as a surprise to me, but I'm here to be surprised, I suppose.

Yeah, but you couldn't maintain a 3.0 in undergrad classes. What makes you think you can maintain a MINIMUM of 3.0 in harder classes when you couldn't do better than a 2.7 in the easier undergrad classes?

By the way, when I said you should try a Masters program, it was implied that you shouldn't do one at a PhD granting university. Especially now that graduate schools are having more and more people apply due to the economy, some flat out say "do not apply if you are applying to just get a masters". You'll probably want to find one at a Masters only university.

Jack21222 said:
I've never gotten a 78 or below on an exam, but if I did, I would not feel like I barely passed. I would feel like I failed. But that's just me; I hold ridiculous standards for myself that I don't hold for other people.

But anyway, yes, a C is barely passing, because one grade lower, a D, is failing (for any class in your major, at least at my university).

Yeah, but you couldn't maintain a 3.0 in undergrad classes. What makes you think you can maintain a MINIMUM of 3.0 in harder classes when you couldn't do better than a 2.7 in the easier undergrad classes?

On the first part, I guess you're right. The reasoning I was using was that a 'B' is usually defined as "above average". So if a 2.7 is "barely passing" and an 3.0 is "above average", then what is your definition for "average"? 2.85?

On the second part, I was mainly coming from the physics grad students I've talked to here at my university. They will say things like "you have to keep a 3.0, but everybody keeps a 3.0, and that a professor will almost never give you below a B grade. Not to say that it's easier, just that it's more of a genial relationship between you and your professors than it is in the undergraduate world, and they're more willing to work with you before just handing you a grade. I may be wrong, and I'm certain it has to be different from institution to institution.

Lastly, I'm impressed by the fact that you've never made a 78 or below on a test, but this alone signifies to me that you probably weren't worried about "safety" schools when you were applying to grad school. I mean, you were probably applying to the top schools in your field, with a few thrown in there that weren't ranked just in case, or something, right? Does this mean that you've talked to others who were less prepared than yourself about their application experiences or what?

Remember, you've probably grown up in a society where "C" is passing and that passing is... well, acceptable. In Physics, not to sound too elitist, but we like to think we're the above average students. Then to be a graduate student, you want to be above average of the above average students!

Getting a phd in physics is probably one of the hardest academic routes there is so don't be surprised if you run into people who think anything but an A is unacceptable.

Lol, you placed Tufts and BU as "safety cards".

undergrad_phy said:
Lastly, I'm impressed by the fact that you've never made a 78 or below on a test, but this alone signifies to me that you probably weren't worried about "safety" schools when you were applying to grad school. I mean, you were probably applying to the top schools in your field, with a few thrown in there that weren't ranked just in case, or something, right? Does this mean that you've talked to others who were less prepared than yourself about their application experiences or what?

I'm only a 3rd year undergrad, I'm in the process of researching grad schools now. This time next year, I'll be actually applying. I fully expect to get below a 78 at some point, and when I do, I'll be very upset with myself.

So, my only experience with grad school applications is reading admissions pages and talking to classmates who are applying now. But from that, I can tell you that every one of the 20+ "application requirements" pages I've seen required a minimum 3.0 for your application to be even considered. This includes so-called "safety schools."

Here's an example. One of my "safety schools" is UMBC. This is their admissions FAQ webpage:

http://physics.umbc.edu/grad/faqs.php [Broken]

A low GPA does not automatically exclude you from the program, as long as it is explained and compensated by positive factors, such as a high GRE score, relevant research experience, etc. According to the rules of the Graduate School, you can only be admitted conditionally, if your GPA is below 3.0. The usual condition is that you pass all your courses during the first year with an A or B. Otherwise, you are dismissed from the program.

Emphasis mine. Your low GPA is not compensated by high GRE scores. In fact, it's amplified by low GRE scores.

At my liberal arts state school, they have a "Professional Science Master's" program. It's a very small program and they're just starting up. Here's their admissions requirement for a terminal master's program.

http://grad.towson.edu/program/master/apph-ms/ar-apph-ms.asp

An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 is required for full admission and at least 2.75 for provisional admission.

Your application would be tossed in the trash, even for provisional admission to this tiny, no-name school's M.S. program.

It's going to be very difficult for you to get admitted into even a masters program, and even if you do get admitted, based on what you've told us so far, I don't think it's a good fit for you. You should probably just look into industry and start making money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino, that's true and I guess I bring that upon myself.

Jack, I appreciate your input, but I've looked at Towson's admissions page before and while they do have concrete requirements, another 30 schools that I've looked at don't.

Furthermore, I can't see that you're qualified for saying my application would be "tossed in the trash" because you've looked at 20 websites and you think it's hard to get into grad school and your buddies agree with you. The logic you're using when referencing your own boldface quote isn't even really 100% accurate; what I mean is that it seems to me the excerpt is alluding to possible low GPA compensation by high GRE scores OR relevant research experience, and since I have the research experience, it seems as though I would be a candidate.

So while I appreciate your thoughts, there's no need to burn me down, because you're speaking to me from a level of knowledge about graduate school that I was at two years ago.

undergrad_phy said:
Pengwuino, that's true and I guess I bring that upon myself.

Jack, I appreciate your input, but I've looked at Towson's admissions page before and while they do have concrete requirements, another 30 schools that I've looked at don't.

Furthermore, I can't see that you're qualified for saying my application would be "tossed in the trash" because you've looked at 20 websites and you think it's hard to get into grad school and your buddies agree with you. The logic you're using when referencing your own boldface quote isn't even really 100% accurate; what I mean is that it seems to me the excerpt is alluding to possible low GPA compensation by high GRE scores OR relevant research experience, and since I have the research experience, it seems as though I would be a candidate.

So while I appreciate your thoughts, there's no need to burn me down, because you're speaking to me from a level of knowledge about graduate school that I was at two years ago.

Well, let us know how it turns out for you, I guess.

Will do.

Can you stay at your university a year longer? If you stayed on and did well (3.5+ really like 3.8) in an extra year of math/physics courses you could show your potential to dop well. This would also give you time to work on raising your PGRE (a 2% does not look try to get to 60%).

deluks917 said:
Can you stay at your university a year longer? If you stayed on and did well (3.5+ really like 3.8) in an extra year of math/physics courses you could show your potential to dop well. This would also give you time to work on raising your PGRE (a 2% does not look try to get to 60%).

That's not a bad idea. A few "A"s or even "A-"s would probably get that 2.7 to a 3.0. But they can't be easy classes. You'd have to take difficult classes.

Pengwuino's comments caught my attention. How could someone who is uncompetetive for a PhD program be any more acceptable for a Master's Degree program? The two kinds of programs both are graduate programs or advanced degree programs. What is the logic at work about these two different graduate or advanced degree programs? Both of them would require a few additional courses; and both would require some independent knowledge investigation or research.

Also there is a big difference between test scores and grades. There are tests in which you can make a 65/100 on the test and get an A. Something that worries me a little is the statement that you've never made below a 78 on a test. The grading policy in some of the physics programs is to give you killer tests in which you are expected to make a very low score, with the notion that if you are given killer test after killer test that you will do well on the PGRE's.

undergrad_phy said:
That's true. I guess what I've thought until this point was that graduate level classes would be more independently oriented and less test-based.

That's not the case. Graduate-level classes are more intense than undergraduate courses. Once you get out of the first two years of grad school, you the get into research.

I've done quite a bit of independent research and I've excelled at it. (I've always been able to write better than take tests). I guess that's why I felt like I would do better at grad school.

The problem is that in order to do research you have to have literacy in the research, and have both low GPA's and GRE's will hurt you a lot here. If you really want to go to physics grad school, you really should take another year.

I suppose underlying my thinking until this point has been the notion that there was a complete "curve" of grad schools, with a few very good ones, lots in the middle, and a few that would accept you if you had points on your resume but low gpa and test scores. Is this line of thinking false?

It doesn't work that way. There really isn't a huge difference in quality between the "big name" physics schools and the "no name" physics schools.

symbolipoint said:
Pengwuino's comments caught my attention. How could someone who is uncompetetive for a PhD program be any more acceptable for a Master's Degree program? The two kinds of programs both are graduate programs or advanced degree programs. What is the logic at work about these two different graduate or advanced degree programs? Both of them would require a few additional courses; and both would require some independent knowledge investigation or research.

Example: California

The UC's get most of the better students, they pretty much all have PhDs in physics. The CSU system, however, does not have any universities that grant PhDs and infact, it is the second tier school system. Plain and simple. I go to a CSU and we have someone in our masters program that actually got a 0% on his physics GRE. We have people come in with 2.5 GPAs. Some universities just aren't research universities where they have entire fractions of their department solely running research labs.

twofish-quant said:
Also there is a big difference between test scores and grades. There are tests in which you can make a 65/100 on the test and get an A. Something that worries me a little is the statement that you've never made below a 78 on a test. The grading policy in some of the physics programs is to give you killer tests in which you are expected to make a very low score, with the notion that if you are given killer test after killer test that you will do well on the PGRE's.

Well, one of my professors gives more partial credit than I would. When I looked over the last Classical Mechanics exam, I would have given myself about a 70, but the professor gave me an 83 with generous partial credit. Highest grade in the class was 84, median was 67. The 83 was considered an A.

So, there's a little of what you talk about in my school, but not to the extent a 65 is an A. I kinda wish we did have exams like that, though.

undergrad_phy said:
while they do have concrete requirements, another 30 schools that I've looked at don't.

Apparently, you didn't bother looking at the admissions requirements to the "safety" schools that you posted. Let's go down the list one by one, shall we?

LSU: http://www.phys.lsu.edu/newwebsite/graduate/faq.html#question7

We require a GPA of better than 3.00 (the equivalent of a B on the American system). GPA minima vary with country of the college as other places have different systems; so for example our limit corresponds to 60 in the Indian system and 80 in the Chinese system.

University of South Carolina: There is no admissions requirements information on their website, but the other science and engineering programs require a 3.0. I'd be surprised if the physics program had lower standards than the others.

University of Alabama: http://physics.ua.edu/grad/UA_AIP_profile.pdf [Broken]

Admission requirements: For admission to the graduate programs,
a Bachelor’s degree in physics is required with a minimum
undergraduate GPA of 3.0/4.0 specified.

Miami University: http://www.muphysics.org/prospective-students/graduate-programs/admission-requirements [Broken]

An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).

I've got to run to class now, I'll finish doing your grad school research for you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fail a test on a fluke, you can recover. I got the median score (around a 50) on a classical mechanics once, only to turn around and get the highest score in the class on the next test (96 when the median was 40). Because of determination I was able to flip my grade in the class from a potential B to an A. Getting bad grades over and over, however, is more of an indicator. undergrad_phy your GRE scores are actually really great for verbal and writing. I'm not saying that you need to give up, but maybe you want to take a step back and look at the larger picture. Maybe you there are some jobs out there that deal with physics public relations. Maybe you don't need to go to physics grad school. If you are struggling now, you might get into grad school only to have to drop out. If grad school really is your ultimate dream, you may want to hit the books hard for a year or two and retake the PGRE. physicsforums is a great place to get help if you get stuck, so you know of at least one resource that can help you after graduation. If you do well on the PGRE a year or two after graduating I'm sure some universities will reward your independent study skills and let you into their program.

<h2>1. What are the implications of failing the Physics GRE?</h2><p>Failing the Physics GRE can have various implications depending on your specific situation. If you are a graduate student, it may affect your ability to continue in your program or secure a research position. If you are an undergraduate, it may impact your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program. However, it is important to remember that one exam does not define your entire academic career.</p><h2>2. Can I retake the Physics GRE?</h2><p>Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE. The exam is offered three times a year, in September, October, and April. However, it is important to carefully consider the reasons for your initial failure and make necessary changes in your study approach before retaking the exam.</p><h2>3. How should I prepare for the Physics GRE if I failed it previously?</h2><p>If you failed the Physics GRE previously, it is important to reflect on your study habits and identify areas where you can improve. You may also want to seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to help you better understand the material and improve your test-taking skills.</p><h2>4. Will failing the Physics GRE affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?</h2><p>While a low score on the Physics GRE may impact your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role in the admissions process.</p><h2>5. Are there any alternative options for graduate programs if I failed the Physics GRE?</h2><p>Yes, there are alternative options for graduate programs if you failed the Physics GRE. Some programs may not require the Physics GRE or may consider other factors in their admissions process. Additionally, you may also consider applying to programs that offer conditional admission, which allows you to take additional coursework to demonstrate your proficiency in physics before officially being admitted to the program.</p>

1. What are the implications of failing the Physics GRE?

Failing the Physics GRE can have various implications depending on your specific situation. If you are a graduate student, it may affect your ability to continue in your program or secure a research position. If you are an undergraduate, it may impact your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program. However, it is important to remember that one exam does not define your entire academic career.

2. Can I retake the Physics GRE?

Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE. The exam is offered three times a year, in September, October, and April. However, it is important to carefully consider the reasons for your initial failure and make necessary changes in your study approach before retaking the exam.

3. How should I prepare for the Physics GRE if I failed it previously?

If you failed the Physics GRE previously, it is important to reflect on your study habits and identify areas where you can improve. You may also want to seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to help you better understand the material and improve your test-taking skills.

4. Will failing the Physics GRE affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?

While a low score on the Physics GRE may impact your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your academic record, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role in the admissions process.

5. Are there any alternative options for graduate programs if I failed the Physics GRE?

Yes, there are alternative options for graduate programs if you failed the Physics GRE. Some programs may not require the Physics GRE or may consider other factors in their admissions process. Additionally, you may also consider applying to programs that offer conditional admission, which allows you to take additional coursework to demonstrate your proficiency in physics before officially being admitted to the program.