1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just have some dificulty understanding about the forces in the case of car driving

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    When a car drives on a banked curve it pushes into the ground and the ground pushes back making its normal force bigger then it would be just form the perpendicular component (to the road) of gravity. And at a perfect speed, the normal force’s up component balances the gravity. My first question is what about the component of gravity parallel to the road. I know that we don’t use a tilted coordinate system but that component of gravity has to do something, and since in other cases when the speed is not perfect the force of friction either acts up or down parallel to the road. Clearly the force of friction is not affected by gravity in any way. So what happens to the parallel part of gravity, or at least why is it not an issue?
    http://batesvilleinschools.com/physics/PhyNet/Mechanics/Circular%20Motion/banked_with_friction.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: I just have some dificulty understanding about the forces in the case of car driv

Quite so, but the perpendicular direction to that is horizontal, not parallel to the road surface.
    In the parallel to road direction, you have a component of gravity and no normal force, so there is an acceleration. This will be the component of the centripetal acceleration in that direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook