1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just took Lewin's courses: What next?

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    A few days ago, I completed Walter Lewin's courses 8.01 (Newtonian Mechanics)and 8.02 (Electricity and Magnetism) . I loved the courses and I'm quite motivated to go further. I was thinking of two routes:

a) Quantum Mechanics: I'll probably use Griffiths/Resnick/Shankar/Gasiorowicz.
    b) Special relativity: Probably Resnick.

Which of the two routes should I choose, and what textbook should I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd take quantum theory next. Textbooks: Sakurai/Ballentine.

4. Jul 13, 2014 #3
    What math have you done so far? If you've done Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, and differential then QM is definitely accessible, although 8.03 Vibrations and Waves ( and Special Relativity (use both Resnick and AP French) would be a good next step especially since 8.03 is sort of a transition to give some background on some classical concepts that are used/extended in QM. Although, Resnick's QM is at the level of a modern physics course, rather than a full QM coure, so it might be useful to work through that before trying Griffiths or Shankar.

5. Jul 14, 2014 #4
    I did not require multivariable calculus for 8.02. I think I'll devote some time to gaining mathematical background while watching 8.03 lectures. After that, maybe I'll be prepared for more "hardcore" QM. Thanks!

6. Jul 14, 2014 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sakurai is not a beginners book, you need something on the level of Griffiths or Resnik to have a chance of getting thru it....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted