I keep finding myself logged out

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, there have been some recent changes to the login system at PF, causing users to experience random logouts and trouble staying logged in for extended periods of time. Some suggested solutions include manually logging off, clearing browser cache and cookies, and checking the "stay logged in" button. It seems that the issue is more prevalent for Firefox users, but some have also experienced it with other browsers. The PF team is currently investigating the issue and has made some changes to the caching settings. Overall, the issue seems to have improved, but some users are still experiencing trouble.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
While I'm composing a post something happens - when i hit post reply i get tha "You must be logged into do that..." screen
and after logging back in the latter part of what i just composed is gone

am i unique in this awful annoyance ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anytime something weird happens run through this list:

1. Manually log off
2. Clear browser cache and PF cookies
3. Close browser
4. Restart Computer
5. Open browser
6. Manually log in making sure "stay logged in" is checked

Greg Bernhardt said:
6. Manually log in making sure "stay logged in" is checked
Yes, I am unable to stay logged in.

Bystander said:
Yes, I am unable to stay logged in.
How long do you stay logged in?

jim hardy said:
and after logging back in the latter part of what i just composed is gone
Don't log in at that point, go back in your browser history, then (for most reasonable browsers) your text should be there again. Copy it to save it, then log in.

"Stay logged in" works for me. Are you sure your browser doesn't delete cookies from PF?

Greg Bernhardt said:
How long do you stay logged in?
... until the recent "housekeeping" activity, all the time.

Bystander said:
... until the recent "housekeeping" activity, all the time.
No, how long does staying logged in last for. Obviously you have enough time to write this post. Is it 15min, 1 hour, 2 hours? What do you mean recent housekeeping? Have you done the steps in my post #2?

Greg Bernhardt said:
No, how long does staying logged in last for.
Five to ten minutes. Sometimes less. Until I saw your reply to Jim's inquiry, I was not punching the "Stay logged in" button.

Probably a naive suggestion; but have you tried it with a different browser?

Things definitely changed for me but it was easily fixed.
What used to happen is that I would stay logged in as long as I didn't close the tab (firefox).
About a week ago it changed so that I would get logged out after a while, even if the tab was still open.
So then I ticked the 'stay logged in' box at the initial log-in, and now things are working as previously.
That's good, because then I can see if I have any new alerts at PF while doing something else in another tab.

rootone said:
So then I ticked the 'stay logged in' box at the initial log-in, and now things are working as previously.
That's good, because then I can see if I have any new alerts at PF while doing something else in another tab.

thanks i'll try that. I too use Firefox, something changed. But this computer has taken to "locking up"

so it's an uncontrolled experiment.

"Something" has changed; and, it is coincident with the cosmetic changes (no relationship is asserted or implied). Previously, I could log in, no check mark in the box, and "run" for days without any problem. Now, I log in, check the box, and have to actively choose to exit/log off. I can turn my computer off and still be logged in/on the next time I power up and reconnect.

Having similar issues to Bystander and Jim since the last update, just get randomly logged out sometimes. Happened when I tried to post, or when I tried to navigate the forums.

Only a minor annoyance for myself, but it does get old. Seems to be getting better, but yesterday (I think yesterday, I also thought it was still like 9 o-clock until I just looked at the time) was particularly bad - in the logged out every 5 to 10 minutes for no reason category.

Student100 said:
Having similar issues to Bystander and Jim since the last update
Did you try my tips in #2? It's not unheard of for cache files and cookies to become corrupted.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Did you try my tips in #2? It's not unheard of for cache files and cookies to become corrupted.

Yes, it also happened on multiple work stations/ phone browser. It seems to have calmed down a lot now though, and hasn't reoccurred since the posting.

Actually, just happened again as I tried to post this. :) I'll try re-clearing everything again. It has happened in IE10, latest chrome and firefox. I'm in chrome right now.

Greg,

I'm having this problem too. (I run firefox, but it's only started happening within the last few weeks.)

I just got thrown off (i.e., unexpectedly logged off) shortly before
Fri Feb 12 00:54:05 GMT 2016
while composing a post. Maybe you can check your logs and find the reason why I was thrown off?

really active today.

Same here, is only Firefox users experiencing this?

i'm firefox , 18.5 i think

edit - did it again when i hit post

HI Greg, here are a few observations that I’ve made, which might be useful to you.

I’m using Firefox 37.0.2 and I experience the same problem.

1) It never happens spontaneously, only when I click something.
2) It doesn’t seem to matter what I do. Clicking anything to navigate to a new forum or read a post, I suddenly get the guest user interface. (Login or sign-up...)
3) When that happens, if I click the browser back button, I get back to the previous page and I’m still logged in. I can read alerts, etc as usual but navigating to any other page returns me to the guest user interface.
4) When I suddenly find myself logged out, I find that my username continues to appear in the list of logged-in users. If I click on it it says “Daz was last seen 3 minutes ago...”

test with image

upload_2016-2-12_11-37-17.png

worked fine that time

Likes Greg Bernhardt
no troubles here since .

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else still having trouble?
Yes, from time-to-time.

never had this problem using IE ( version 11 for at least last 12 months)Dave

Related to I keep finding myself logged out

1. Why do I keep getting logged out?

There could be several reasons why you keep getting logged out. It could be due to security measures set by the website, inactivity for a certain period of time, or a glitch in the system. It is best to contact the website's support team for further assistance.

2. How can I prevent myself from getting logged out?

To prevent yourself from getting logged out, make sure to regularly save your work and stay active on the website. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, as these can sometimes cause issues with staying logged in.

3. Is someone else logging me out?

It is unlikely that someone else is logging you out, as most websites require a username and password to access your account. However, if you suspect unauthorized access to your account, it is best to change your password and enable two-factor authentication for added security.

4. Why do I have to keep logging back in every time I visit the website?

This could be due to your browser's settings. Some browsers have a setting that automatically clears cookies and cache upon closing, which can cause you to get logged out every time you visit the website. You can change this setting in your browser's preferences or settings.

5. How can I stay logged in for longer periods of time?

You can try adjusting the website's "remember me" or "keep me logged in" feature, if available. This will save your login information and keep you logged in for longer periods of time. However, it is important to note that this may pose a security risk, so use this feature with caution.