What Is the Best Way to Solve Integrals Involving Exponential Functions?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the conversation discusses using u-substitution to solve the integral of 1/e^x and the derivative of e^-x using the chain rule. The conversation also mentions a mistake with the negative sign in the derivative.
Saladsamurai
because I keep getting jammed up here,

Using u substitution

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{e^x}[/tex] I don't see what else to let u equal besides e^x. ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the denominator to the top...

learningphysics said:
Take the denominator to the top...

I just got it I think...Like I said, somehow since last night I've lost brain cells!:grumpy: for some reason I wouldn't believe that d\dx [e^-x]=e^-x <---
that is correct though right?
what is the derivative of e^-x ?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
I just got it I think...Like I said, somehow since last night I've lost brain cells!:grumpy: for some reason I wouldn't believe that d\dx [e^-x]=e^-x <---
that is correct though right?

almost. be careful about the '-'

You should use the chain rule: what is the derivative of e^(ax)

learningphysics said:
almost. be careful about the '-'

You should use the chain rule: what is the derivative of e^(ax)

is it ae^ax ?

so it should be [tex]-e^{-x}[/tex]

Just checked the answer and it is right. Thanks. Strange that I forgot to chain rule.

Saladsamurai said:
Just checked the answer and it is right. Thanks. Strange that I forgot to chain rule.

no prob.

What are the common symptoms of hitting my head?

Symptoms of hitting your head can vary depending on the severity of the injury. Some common symptoms include headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, memory loss, and loss of consciousness.

How long do symptoms typically last after hitting my head?

The duration of symptoms after hitting your head can vary. In most cases, symptoms will go away within a few hours to days. However, if you experience persistent or worsening symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention.

Do I need to see a doctor if I hit my head?

If you experience any symptoms after hitting your head, it is recommended to see a doctor to assess the severity of the injury. In some cases, a head injury can lead to serious complications, so it is important to seek medical attention to ensure proper treatment.

What should I do if I hit my head and experience symptoms of a concussion?

If you experience symptoms of a concussion, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor will be able to assess the severity of the injury and provide appropriate treatment, which may include rest, medication, or physical therapy.

Can hitting my head cause long-term effects?

In some cases, hitting your head can lead to long-term effects, especially if the injury is severe. These effects can include memory loss, difficulty concentrating, changes in behavior, and increased risk of developing certain neurological conditions. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience persistent symptoms after hitting your head.