I need a homomorphism equation from (Q\{0},*) to (Z,+)

• Thread starter catherinenanc
  • Start date
In summary: H. But if you want to do that, then you have to acknowledge that a/b is not an element of G.In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fundamental Theorem to show that G/H≅(ℤ,+), where G=(ℚ-{0},⋅) and H={(a/b)|a and b are odd integers}. The conversation also explores defining a homomorphism function and the importance of assuming that the rational numbers are always reduced. The final submission acknowledges that a/b may not be an element of G if a and b are both even.
catherinenanc
1. Let G=(ℚ-{0},⋅), and let H be the subgroup H={(a/b)|a and b are odd integers}. Use the Fundamental Theorem to show that G/H≅(ℤ,+).

3. I'm sure I can get the whole thing except that I just can't find the homomorphism to start with...?

Physics news on Phys.org
suppose we have a rational number q = a/b , where gcd(a,b) = 1, and b ≠ 0.

write q = (±1)(2k1)(3k2)...(ptkt)

(that is factor a and b into prime factors, where pt is the largest prime occurring in the factorization of a or b).

can you think of how to define f:Q*→Z so that ker(f) = H (hint: powers of 2).

Think about what the elements of G that aren't in H look like. In other words, can you describe the cosets of G/H?

Ok, so q= (±1)(2^k1)(3^k2)...(pt^kt) / (±1)(2^m1)(3^m2)...(pt^mt)

Then ψ(q)=k1+m1 would be the function you are referring to because a,b both odd would produce 0+0=0 and nothing else would do so, right?

I believe that also does satisfy the definition of homomorphism as well, right?

catherinenanc said:

Then ψ(q)=k1+m1 would be the function you are referring to because a,b both odd would produce 0+0=0 and nothing else would do so, right?

That's not quite it. If k1=m1=1 then your fraction is in H after you divide the 2 out. So ψ(q) should still be 0.

Sorry, Dick, that explanation is probably perfect, it's just a little abstract for me. Probably appropriate for an "Abstract Algebra" class (haha) but I'm trying to get this as mechanically as possible. I will definitely think on that, though! I need to make sure I understand that approach before the test. :cool: Thanks for pointing it out.

catherinenanc said:

how do we write 1/(pk) in exponent form?

Dick,
"That's not quite it. If k1=m1=1 then your fraction is in H after you divide the 2 out. So ψ(q) should still be 0."

I'm assuming first of all, of course, that a/b is reduced. I think that's a reasonable assumption, right?

catherinenanc said:
Sorry, Dick, that explanation is probably perfect, it's just a little abstract for me. Probably appropriate for an "Abstract Algebra" class (haha) but I'm trying to get this as mechanically as possible. I will definitely think on that, though! I need to make sure I understand that approach before the test. :cool: Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm just saying your ψ wrong. Because 2*3/2*1=3/1 IS in your subgroup H. And a element in H should map to the identity of G/H. Which is zero. Change your ψ. Just a little bit.

Deveno said:
how do we write 1/(pk) in exponent form?

Oh... I see your point. the multiplicities would subtract top-bottom. Ok. So it's a bit simpler than I stated it. Thanks!

catherinenanc said:
Dick,
"That's not quite it. If k1=m1=1 then your fraction is in H after you divide the 2 out. So ψ(q) should still be 0."

I'm assuming first of all, of course, that a/b is reduced. I think that's a reasonable assumption, right?

You could assume that a/b is reduced, but you don't have to. The same ψ will work if it's not.

Dick said:
You could assume that a/b is reduced, but you don't have to. The same ψ will work if it's not.

But assuming that it's reduced takes away the issue you were talking about, with the (2*3)/(2*1).

Dick said:

Or, I guess, redefining a/b as (±1)(2^{k₁})(3^{k₂})(5^{k₃})...(p_{t}^{k_{t}} without the division I put in there and allowing negative k's, also solves the issue you are referring to. Ido like that better.

catherinenanc said:
But assuming that it's reduced takes away the issue you were talking about, with the (2*3)/(2*1).

Yeah, I was just trying to get you to think of ψ(q)=m1-k1. Which also works for (2*3)/(2*1) giving 0.

Dick said:
Yeah, I was just trying to get you to think of ψ(q)=m1-k1. Which also works for (2*3)/(2*1) giving 0.

Well, no, not really (by the very example you used: (2*3)/(2*1)). a and b are both even, so a/b not in H, but by this function, they would still produce 0.

catherinenanc said:
Well, no, not really (by the very example you used: (2*3)/(2*1)). a and b are both even, so a/b not in H, but by this function, they would still produce 0.

3/1 IS in H. And it's EQUAL to (2*3)/(2*1). How can (2*3)/(2*1) NOT be in H? (2*3)/(2*1) and 3/1 are the same number.

Ok, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have to assume they are reduced if I do it the m1+k1 way.

Sorry, we *have to* assume that it is reduced, otherwise, an element 6/2 could both be in H and simultaneously not. Got it. My bad. I'm straightened out now! :cool:

catherinenanc said:
Sorry, we *have to* assume that it is reduced, otherwise, an element 6/2 could both be in H and simultaneously not. Got it. My bad. I'm straightened out now! :cool:

we have to "reduce" somewhere...we can either put the "reduced form" in the definition of Q, or put the "reduced form" in the definition of H, but we can't neglect it all-together or our mapping may not be well-defined.

(the rationals are kinda funny that way: 1/2 isn't a rational number, it's a representative of an entire equivalence class of rational numbers: 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 and so on).

Just wanted all of you to know that my professor's comment was:
"It is rare that students come up with a solution of this problem."
I think he was impressed.
You guys are awesome. Thanks!

My final submission was:
First, we *must assume that (a/b) is always reduced. Otherwise, (6/2)=(3/1) is both in H and simultaneously not in H, which cannot be.
First, we need to find an "onto" homomorphism ϕ:G→(ℤ,+) such that ker(ϕ)=H.
Let any q∈G be expressed as its prime factorization q=(±1)(2^{k₁})(3^{k₂})(5^{k₃})...(p_{t}^{k_{t}}) where t,k₁,k₂,k₃,...,k_{t}∈ℤ.
Then k₁ represents the multiplicity of the factor 2 in the prime factorization of q.
If k₁=0, then we know that a and b are both odd.
(Side note: If k₁>0, then a is even and b is odd. If k₁<0, then b is even and a is odd. There is no possibility where they are both even, since (a/b) is always reduced.)
So, let ϕ(q)=k₁ where k₁ is defined as described above.
ϕ(q)=k₁ is clearly onto (ℤ,+), since k₁ can be any integer, positive, negative, or zero.
We know that ϕ(q) is a homomorphism, since: for any (c/d),(f/g)∈G,
If (c/d)=(±1)(2^{k₁})(3^{k₂})(5^{k₃})...(p_{t}^{k_{t}}) and (f/g)=(±1)(2^{m₁})(3^{m₂})(5^{m₃})...(p_{t}^{m_{t}}), then (c/d)⋅(f/g)=(±1)(2^{k₁+m₁})(3^{k₂+m₂})(5^{k₃+m₃})...(p_{t}^{k_{t}+m_{t}}).
So, ϕ((c/d)⋅(f/g))=k₁+m₁=ϕ((c/d))+ϕ((f/g)).
Then, by Thm 13.2 (Fundamental Theorem on group homomorphisms), G/ker(ϕ)≅(ℤ,+). Therefore, G/H≅(ℤ,+).

1. What is a homomorphism equation?

A homomorphism equation is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a given algebraic system. In simpler terms, it is a mapping between two sets that preserves the operation defined on those sets. In this case, we are looking for a function that preserves the multiplication operation in the set of rational numbers without 0 (denoted as Q/{0}) and the addition operation in the set of integers (denoted as Z).

2. What are the sets Q/{0} and Z?

Q/{0} represents the set of rational numbers excluding 0, while Z represents the set of integers. Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while integers are whole numbers (positive, negative, or 0).

3. Why do we need a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z?

A homomorphism equation is useful in understanding the relationship between two algebraic systems. In this case, finding a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z can help us understand how the multiplication operation in Q/{0} relates to the addition operation in Z. It can also be used in solving mathematical problems involving these sets.

4. How do you find a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z?

To find a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z, we need to define a function that preserves the multiplication operation in Q/{0} and maps it to the addition operation in Z. This function is typically defined as f(a/b) = a, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0. This function satisfies the conditions of a homomorphism equation.

5. Can you provide an example of a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z?

One example of a homomorphism equation from Q/{0} to Z is f(a/b) = a, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0. For instance, if we have the rational number 3/5, the function will map it to the integer 3, preserving the multiplication operation. Similarly, if we have the rational number -2/7, the function will map it to the integer -2, still preserving the multiplication operation. This shows that the function preserves the structure of Q/{0} and Z.