I need a list of all singularities in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of singularities in physics and the need for a list of specific instances where they appear. Examples such as the singularity in the Friedmann equation and in quantum mechanics are mentioned. The speaker also mentions the difficulties of determining which singularities are "real" due to co-ordinate choices. However, they also clarify that well-known singularities like black holes, renormalization, cosmic strings, and domain walls are of interest.
SothSogi
Hi there everyone :smile:

I'd like to have a list of all the instances where a singularity appears in physics, e.g., in relativity, causing the black hole thing.

Specific cases where

[tex] \frac{x}{0} [/tex]

appears.

For instance, I heard that there is another case in quantum mechanics, or quantum field theory, and I think it is called renormalization.

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SothSogi:

The Friedmann equation
FriedmannEq.png

has a singularity for a=0 which also corresponds to t=0.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes SothSogi
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi SothSogi:

The Friedmann equation
View attachment 197656
has a singularity for a=0 which also corresponds to t=0.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz
Thanks Buzz Bloom. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thank you very much :smile:

This is difficult to do because many singularities are the products of co-ordinate choices. You will have to sift through them all and determine which ones are, and I hate to use the word, real.

cosmik debris said:
This is difficult to do because many singularities are the products of co-ordinate choices. You will have to sift through them all and determine which ones are, and I hate to use the word, real.
Yes, I suppose. But here I am talking about well known singularities, like black holes, or that thing, renormalization which I do not know very well. I think there is another called cosmic string, or another called domain wall.

Related to I need a list of all singularities in physics

1. What is a singularity in physics?

A singularity in physics is a point or region in space where the laws of physics break down and become infinite. In other words, it is a point of infinite density and infinite curvature.

2. How many types of singularities are there in physics?

There are generally three types of singularities in physics: black hole singularities, big bang singularities, and naked singularities. However, some theories suggest the existence of other types of singularities as well.

3. Can singularities be observed or measured?

No, singularities cannot be directly observed or measured. This is because they are points of infinite density and curvature, making them impossible to approach or measure with our current technology.

4. Are singularities only found in black holes?

No, singularities can also be found in other phenomena such as the big bang, where the entire universe is thought to have originated from a singularity. They can also potentially exist in other extreme conditions, such as the center of neutron stars.

5. What is the significance of studying singularities in physics?

Studying singularities can help us better understand the laws of physics and the fundamental nature of the universe. It can also provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, and potentially lead to the development of new theories and technologies.