How Long Can a 12V Battery Power a 220W Appliance Using a 300W Inverter?

In summary, the person is asking how long a 12v 100amp battery can power a 220w 220v appliance using a 12v-220v 300watt inverter. They are also asking for the equation to calculate this in the future. The speaker suggests that the battery should last for 3.8 hours, assuming an efficiency of 70%, but this may vary depending on the type of load being used. They also ask for further clarification on the purpose of this setup.
Muh1982
Hello, I have a question, I've googled to find the answer but I didn't find any.

I have 12v 100amp battery, 12v-220v 300watt inverter and 220w 220v appliance.

I want to run the 220w appliance on the 12v battery by using the inverter.

My Question is: How long will it last until the battery is fully discharged?

Please write the equation so it will help me in the future, Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That would be a 100 amp-hour battery.

It would be useful to know the eficiency of the inverter, but make a guess and call it 70 %

Power into the inverter from the battery = (100 % / 70 %) * 220 watts or 314 watts.

Current into the inverter from the battery = 314 watts / 12 volts = 26 amps.

The battery is 100 amp - hours so the time it would run is 100 amp-hours / 26 amps or 3.8 hours.

However, I have assumed that the load is not inductive or capacitive which could make the result worse.
What are you actually trying to do?

1. What is a 12v - 240v inverter?

A 12v - 240v inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) power from a 12 volt battery into alternating current (AC) power at 240 volts. This allows you to use standard household appliances and devices that require 240v power while using a 12v power source.

2. How does a 12v - 240v inverter work?

A 12v - 240v inverter works by using electronic components to convert the DC power from a 12 volt battery into AC power. This conversion process involves changing the direction of the current and increasing the voltage to 240 volts.

3. What are the common uses for a 12v - 240v inverter?

A 12v - 240v inverter is commonly used in recreational vehicles, boats, and remote off-grid locations where AC power is needed but only DC power is available. It can also be used for emergency backup power in the event of a power outage or natural disaster.

4. How do I choose the right size 12v - 240v inverter for my needs?

The size of the inverter you need depends on the wattage of the devices you will be using it for. Add up the wattage of all the devices you plan to use simultaneously and choose an inverter with a continuous wattage rating that is equal to or greater than that total. It is also important to consider the surge wattage rating for devices that require a high initial power draw, such as refrigerators or power tools.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a 12v - 240v inverter?

Yes, it is important to follow the safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a 12v - 240v inverter. Some key precautions include keeping the inverter away from water, using proper gauge wiring for the DC input, and using a fuse or circuit breaker to protect against overloading. It is also important to only use the inverter with devices that are compatible with 240v power to avoid damage or fire hazards.