• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I need help in finding correct Coefficient of friction

• Thread starter akki2063
  • Start date
A road vehicle equipped with mechanical wheel brake e.g drum or disc brake ,driving at a speed of 100Km/hr is braked to a stand still with a deceleration of 1G (3.2m/sec^2),How large must be the coefficient if friction between wheel and road at least be to enable that.

Options:

1)At least 1.
2)0.5
3)2

Answers and Replies

The force exerted on the truck when the brakes come on ( and lock the wheels) is mg, g=3.2ms-2 and m is the trucks mass.

Can you calculate the force provided by the friction in terms of the coefficient of friction ?

(Incidentally the acceleration on the Earth's surface is about 9.7ms-2, not 3.2)

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
A road vehicle equipped with mechanical wheel brake e.g drum or disc brake ,driving at a speed of 100Km/hr is braked to a stand still with a deceleration of 1G (3.2m/sec^2),How large must be the coefficient if friction between wheel and road at least be to enable that.

Options:

1)At least 1.
2)0.5
3)2
Check your PMs. You *must* show your efforts before we can provide tutorial help. That is in the PF Rules (see the top of the page under Site Info).

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The force exerted on the truck when the brakes come on ( and lock the wheels) is mg, g=3.2ms-2 and m is the trucks mass.

Can you calculate the force provided by the friction in terms of the coefficient of friction ?

(Incidentally the acceleration on the Earth's surface is about 9.7ms-2, not 3.2)
I don't know where you got g = 9.7 m/s^2, but there is a different and more precise figure defined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gravity