How Do You Solve Projectile Motion Problems in Physics?

Lastly, you can use this flight time to solve for the distance that the fielder will be from home plate using the same equation used in part (b).In summary, the student is struggling with solving projectile motion problems and is seeking help for an upcoming test. The problem involves a ball being hit at an initial velocity and angle, and the student needs to find the ball's maximum height, flight time, and distance traveled. They have correctly used kinematic equations to find the initial vertical and horizontal velocities, but are unsure of what they are solving for in the equations. They are advised to use a different equation to solve for the maximum height, and then use the flight time to solve for the fielder's distance from home plate.
bmiller13

Homework Statement

I can't seem to understand the steps in solving these types of problems (projectile Motion), and I would like help because I have my first test on Tuesday.

A ballplayer standing at homeplate hits a baseball that is caught by another player at the same height above the ground from which it was hit. The ball is hit with an initial velocity of 22.0 m/s at an angle of 56.0° above the horizontal.

(a) How high will the ball rise?
m higher than where it was hit

(b) How much time will elapse from the time the ball leaves the bat until it reaches the fielder?
s

(c) At what distance from home plate will the fielder be when he catches the ball?
m

Homework Equations

Sin (theta) = O/H (i got 18.239)
Cos (thesta) = A/H (i got 12.302)

X= VoxT + 1/2 AT(2)
Y= VoyT + 1/2 AT(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equations to find the O and A. Then i separated into vertical and horizontal. I know that I am supposed to use these equations, but i am unsure on what I am trying to solve for. i know that A in horizontal is 0 and V in vertical is 0 (i think). I get stuck around the part where you separate the two.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bmiller13 said:

Homework Statement

I can't seem to understand the steps in solving these types of problems (projectile Motion), and I would like help because I have my first test on Tuesday.

A ballplayer standing at homeplate hits a baseball that is caught by another player at the same height above the ground from which it was hit. The ball is hit with an initial velocity of 22.0 m/s at an angle of 56.0° above the horizontal.

(a) How high will the ball rise?
m higher than where it was hit

(b) How much time will elapse from the time the ball leaves the bat until it reaches the fielder?
s

(c) At what distance from home plate will the fielder be when he catches the ball?
m

Homework Equations

Sin (theta) = O/H (i got 18.239)
Cos (thesta) = A/H (i got 12.302)

X= VoxT + 1/2 AT(2)
Y= VoyT + 1/2 AT(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equations to find the O and A. Then i separated into vertical and horizontal. I know that I am supposed to use these equations, but i am unsure on what I am trying to solve for. i know that A in horizontal is 0 and V in vertical is 0 (i think). I get stuck around the part where you separate the two.

Thanks in advance.
Your working looks good so far. The O that you found it the initial vertical velocity and the A that you found (12.302) is the initial horizontal velocity. You are also correct in assuming that the acceleration is zero in the horizontal direction and that the velocity is zero at the balls highest point. Can you know use the equations that you posted to make the next step?

I don't know what I am solving for in the equation, am I solving for time or X (or Y)?

If I am solving for time, then x would have to be 0 wouldn't it?
I am confused about what I would do after I solve this also.

bmiller13 said:
I don't know what I am solving for in the equation, am I solving for time or X (or Y)?

If I am solving for time, then x would have to be 0 wouldn't it?
I am confused about what I would do after I solve this also.
I apologise, I misread the question. For part (a) you need to use a different kinematic equation that the one you have posted and solve for X. You can then use this information to determine the flight time using the equation that you have posted and hence solve part (b).

Related to How Do You Solve Projectile Motion Problems in Physics?

1. How do I approach a difficult homework problem?

First, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, refer back to your class notes or textbook for relevant information. If you're still stuck, reach out to your classmates or teacher for help.

2. What should I do if I don't understand the homework problem?

Don't panic! Take a step back and re-read the problem. If you're still confused, try to identify the specific part that you're having trouble with. Then, ask your teacher for clarification or seek help from a tutor.

3. How can I check if my answer to the homework problem is correct?

One way to check your answer is by using a calculator or online tool to double-check your calculations. You can also compare your solution to the back of the textbook or ask your teacher for feedback.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with a homework problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help shows that you are proactive and willing to learn. Just make sure to ask for help in a respectful and appropriate manner, such as during office hours or study sessions.

5. How can I avoid getting stuck on a homework problem in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck is by actively participating in class and asking questions when you're unsure about a concept. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help early on can help you understand the material better and make homework problems less challenging.