I with Fluid systems question

The tension in the cable can be found by summing the moments about the hinge. In summary, the task is to find the tension in the horizontal retaining cable attached to the top of a vertical sluice gate in a rectangular channel with retained water. The formula for thrust must be adjusted for the vertical orientation of the gate, and the tension can be found by summing the moments about the hinge.
StudyNinja1

Homework Statement

Water is retained in a 1.25 rectangular section channel by a sluice gate. This gate can pivot about its base, the depth of the water is 1.5m and the density of the water is 1000kgm^-3. You must find the tension in the horizontal retaining cable attached to the top of the gate.

Homework Equations

Thrust: F= pgAh
Gravity = 9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

Provided data:
Retained water 1.25
Density: 1000kgm^-3
Depth: 1.5m
Gravity: 9.81

So this is what i did, first i found the thrust of the gate so:
F=1000 x 9.81 x 1.5 x 1.25 = 18393.75 so 18.3 x 10^3 or 18.3 kN

I'm not sure though if this is right or what to do next to find the tension, could someone help me on this please

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for thrust is correct only if the gate is horizontal at the bottom of the channel. From the description, however, it appears that that the gate is vertical.

The problem is that of statics, with a distributed load applied to a vertical bar hinged at the bottom, and a point force provided by the cable.

1. What is a fluid system?

A fluid system is a system that involves the movement and behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases. These systems can include pumps, pipes, valves, and other components that are used to control the flow of fluids.

2. What are some examples of fluid systems?

Some examples of fluid systems include hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, and plumbing systems. Hydraulic systems use fluids to transmit power, while pneumatic systems use gases. Plumbing systems are used for the distribution of water and other liquids.

3. How do you calculate pressure in a fluid system?

Pressure in a fluid system can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This equation is known as Pascal's Law and is used to determine the pressure at any point in a fluid system.

4. What are some factors that can affect the behavior of a fluid system?

The behavior of a fluid system can be affected by various factors, such as the type of fluid being used, the temperature and pressure of the system, the size and shape of the components, and the speed of the fluid flow. Other factors such as viscosity, density, and surface tension can also play a role in the behavior of a fluid system.

5. How can you control the flow of fluids in a system?

The flow of fluids in a system can be controlled through the use of valves, pumps, and other flow control devices. These components can be used to regulate the pressure, flow rate, and direction of the fluid in the system. Additionally, the design and layout of the system can also play a role in controlling the flow of fluids.