I with net force and dynamics

In summary, the problem involves a 50.0 kg box on frictionless wheels being pulled by a rope at a 34 degree angle with 68 N of tension. To calculate the acceleration, the force vector must be resolved into horizontal and vertical components. With the horizontal component, F=ma can be used to find the acceleration. By using the distance formula or integrating twice with respect to time, the distance the box will have moved after 15.5 seconds can be determined.
lefty1405
Ive never used this before but my teacher said it worked well.
i guess i just write the problem...
a 50.0 kg box on frictionless wheels is pulled across the floor by a rope with 68 N of tension. The rope makes and angle of 34 degrees to the ground. calculate the acceleration of the box along the floor. If the box starts from rest how far will it have moved after 15.5 seconds?

if you can explain the process or give me any help please let me know or IM me at lefty1405

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to resolve the force vector to it's horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components. (You really only need the horizontal component for this problem) Then F sub x=ma. Finally integrate a twice with respect to t or if you aren't doing calculus yet use the distance formula in your text.

As kevinalm mentioned, your force is a vector, which has components of horizontal and vertical directions. You need to use [tex]F\sin\theta[/tex] and [tex]F\cos\theta[/tex] to break the total force into its components (I'll leave you up to figuring out which to use for which, though).
After that, it's a simple matter of using [tex]F=ma[/tex] and [tex]x-x_0=v_{0}t+1/2at^2[/tex] to find the distance.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object in a specific direction. It is the sum of all the individual forces acting on that object.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object and taking into account their direction. If the net force is zero, the object will either be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

3. What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration will be.

4. How does net force affect an object's motion?

The net force acting on an object determines its motion. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity. If the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How does understanding net force help in studying dynamics?

Net force is a crucial concept in the study of dynamics because it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of objects. By understanding the net force acting on an object, we can determine its acceleration and ultimately understand how different forces affect its motion.