Determine kinetic energy gained by the mass during the acceleration

In summary, the student is looking for help on a homework or exam question. The student is not sure what equation to use and does not know how to approach the problem. The student is looking for help from the professor.
The Futur

Homework Statement

I need help on my Mechanical system exam question.

(b) A mass of 50 kg. is to be uniformly accelerated from rest up a plane inclined at 30(deg) to the horizontal, by a force parallel to the plane. The acceleration rate is 1m/s2 for a period of 6 seconds. If the coefficient of friction between mass and plane is 0.2 (both static and kinetic),

Determine.

(ii) The distance the mass moves up the slope during the acceleration and the potential energy gained

(iii) The velocity and kinetic energy gained by the mass during the acceleration

The problem is that i never done phisics befor and i would be more than happy if you guys help me passing my exam. it's 3am now and I am still studying. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Futur: The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework or exam problem. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

nvn said:
The Futur: The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework or exam problem. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

Yeah i do understand what you mean. there come the problem, i don't know what equation i have to use. as i said i never done phisics befor

If you're taking the class for the first time, you're not expected to have done "phisics" before. BTW, the word is physics. Also, there is more to these problems than picking a formula and plugging numbers into it.

Have you looked at the worked example problems in your text? To get you started, you need to draw a force diagram for the block on the plane, and determine the normal force the block applies perpendicular to the plane, and the tangential force acting parallel to the plane. The given coefficient of friction comes into play here.

Mark44 said:
If you're taking the class for the first time, you're not expected to have done "phisics" before. BTW, the word is physics. Also, there is more to these problems than picking a formula and plugging numbers into it.

Have you looked at the worked example problems in your text? To get you started, you need to draw a force diagram for the block on the plane, and determine the normal force the block applies perpendicular to the plane, and the tangential force acting parallel to the plane. The given coefficient of friction comes into play here.

mmmm thanks

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on the mass and speed of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

3. How does acceleration affect kinetic energy?

Acceleration is directly proportional to kinetic energy. This means that as the acceleration of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can an object have kinetic energy without acceleration?

Yes, an object can have kinetic energy without acceleration if it is moving at a constant velocity. In this case, the kinetic energy remains constant.

5. How can the kinetic energy gained by a mass during acceleration be determined?

The kinetic energy gained by a mass during acceleration can be determined by using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * (vf^2 - vi^2), where m is the mass, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.