1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help.

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help on my Mechanical system exam question.

(b) A mass of 50 kg. is to be uniformly accelerated from rest up a plane inclined at 30(deg) to the horizontal, by a force parallel to the plane. The acceleration rate is 1m/s2 for a period of 6 seconds. If the coefficient of friction between mass and plane is 0.2 (both static and kinetic),

Determine.

(ii) The distance the mass moves up the slope during the acceleration and the potential energy gained

(iii) The velocity and kinetic energy gained by the mass during the acceleration

The problem is that i never done phisics befor and i would be more than happy if you guys help me passing my exam. it's 3am now and im still studying. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Futur: The PF rules state we are not allowed to tell you how to approach or solve your homework or exam problem. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math.

4. Aug 24, 2009 #3
    Yeah i do understand what you mean. there come the problem, i dont know what equation i have to use. as i said i never done phisics befor

5. Aug 24, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you're taking the class for the first time, you're not expected to have done "phisics" before. BTW, the word is physics. Also, there is more to these problems than picking a formula and plugging numbers into it.

Have you looked at the worked example problems in your text? To get you started, you need to draw a force diagram for the block on the plane, and determine the normal force the block applies perpendicular to the plane, and the tangential force acting parallel to the plane. The given coefficient of friction comes into play here.

6. Aug 26, 2009 #5
    mmmm thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook