I need some insight from a speaker expert

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker differences in guitar amps and how it affects the sound and feedback. The speaker's size, phase shift, and specifications play a crucial role in the sound produced. The audio characteristics of the room and the listener's ears also make a significant difference. The conversation also mentions the change in speaker damping over the years.
Planobilly
Lately I have had the opportunity to experiment with a number of new and vintage guitar amp speakers. I was generally aware that different speakers sounded different.

What I was not prepared for was the truly huge and amazing difference the various speakers made in not only sound but how they reacted to the guitar. The same amp and same guitar sounded and reacted so differently to the different speakers I am a bit baffled how that is even possible.

At high gain levels placing the guitar facing and near a speaker will normally produce sustained feedback of a type rock guitarist find useful.

How for example would one 12 inch guitar speaker cause a very pronounced feedback and other similar speaker produce little or no feedback at the same gain level?

Thanks,

Billy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Factor one, of many, phase shift.

Thanks, I will look into the phase shift parameters. What do you consider the next most important factor?

One of the issues is that frequently, exact specifications for a perticular speaker are not avalable to me. I am sure I have a large learning curve ahead of me.

Thanks,

Billy

The audio characteristics of the room, and the ears of the listener make the biggest difference.

One big difference over the years is speaker damping. Speakers were once efficient, now speakers are over-damped to give them a flat response, independent of the housing used. A significant part of the guitar amplifier feedback scream was at the speaker resonance.

1. What makes someone a "speaker expert"?

A speaker expert is someone who has extensive knowledge and experience in the art of public speaking. They have honed their skills and techniques through years of practice and are able to effectively engage and captivate an audience.

2. Why would I need insight from a speaker expert?

Insight from a speaker expert can be valuable for a variety of reasons. They can offer tips and strategies to improve your public speaking skills, provide feedback on your delivery and content, and offer guidance on how to effectively connect with and engage your audience.

3. How can a speaker expert help me with my public speaking anxiety?

A speaker expert can help you overcome your public speaking anxiety by providing techniques and strategies to manage your nerves, such as deep breathing exercises and positive self-talk. They can also offer personalized coaching and feedback to build your confidence and improve your overall performance.

4. Can a speaker expert help me with specific types of speeches or presentations?

Yes, a speaker expert can provide insight and guidance for a variety of speech types, such as informative, persuasive, and motivational speeches. They can also offer advice for presentations in different settings, such as conferences, meetings, and workshops.

5. How can I find a reputable speaker expert?

You can find a reputable speaker expert by researching their background and credentials, reading reviews and testimonials from previous clients, and asking for recommendations from colleagues or friends. It is also helpful to have a consultation with the speaker expert beforehand to ensure their expertise aligns with your needs and goals.