Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing a project, need some insight to some physics things

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    I am doing a passion project that requires knowledge of physics I don't quite have, it mostly revolves around understanding human bodies and their interaction with velocity, impact, decibels, energy, etc. I'll be more specific later on.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there
    welcome to PF

well I guess if you would like some help, you had better be more specific now
    what are you trying to achieve ?
    what things about physics that you do not understand that are stopping you from achieving that goal ?

Dave

4. May 17, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hi Jiku, and welcome to the PF.

I understand that you are early in college, but that is not the way the PF works. We ask posters to make themselves very clear in their question in their original post (OP), so that folks can be efficient in helping them. We strive to have a very high signal-to-noise ratio here, so when you post saying that you will get around to asking your question in a later post, that wastes a lot of time for many of us who click into threads like yours.

This thread is closed. Please start a new thread with a full description of your question, including links to the reading that you have been doing so far to try to answer your question, and letting us know what you don't understand about your reading.

One of our main themes here at the PF is to help folks "learn how to learn", and being efficient in learning and asking questions is a big part of that. :smile:

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. May 17, 2016 #4

berkeman

Thanks to a very nice PM by @Jiku Araiguma this thread is re-opened. :smile:

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    Thank you.

Now, the first question has to do with running. More specifically, how fast can a human run, or rather, how fast can the ideal human run? I know the world record for running speed is just under 10m/s, but can greater speeds be achieved?

7. May 17, 2016 #6

berkeman

So the obvious question is what have you found in your reading so far? Google is very good at answering questions like this one. Going beyond the basic Google information, you could ask how fast can a human run with basic assisting devices like spring loaded running devices, etc.

8. May 17, 2016 #7
    Actually, I mean just talking from the human body alone without any external assistance, just physiology.
    This is so I have a base to work from, to make this part of the project feasible at least from a physics standpoint.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  9. May 17, 2016 #8

berkeman

Fair enough. Obviously Olympic athletes and their coaches are looking at for how to increase their speed by a percent or two so that they can win the 2016 summer Olympics. What suggestions do you have? :smile:

10. May 17, 2016 #9
    Well, I personally know almost nothing about professional running, but I would say that posture and pace have a lot to do with it, also the "spring in the step", breathing, the surface that is being tread, the friction between surfaces, air resistance, impact on each foot fall and how it affects the body of the runner, etc.

To be honest, this is for a science-fiction piece, and I want it to be plausible. One of the characters in the piece is a runner, and I want to know how fast it is possible for the human body to travel by running.

11. May 18, 2016 #10

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are also limits of the muscles, and how fast they can swing the legs back and forth. Do a search, there are old threads on this.

12. May 18, 2016 #11
    I'm sorry, I have other questions, too. I just felt I would make one thread for all of my questions.

Well, my next question goes into the realm of scifi. How fast could an upright bipedal running machine go?What would it have to look like to go that fast?

13. May 18, 2016 #12
    Biochemistry separates top athletes not physics.

14. May 18, 2016 #13
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, that's only the first question I have, and I have no answers yet. I just want to know how fast.

15. May 18, 2016 #14
    Let me pose a new question, taking away the physical endurance issues, bodily wear and mental inhibitions, how fast could the mechanics of the ideal human body be pushed to go?

16. May 18, 2016 #15
    The difference in world record times is a function of how many decimal places you can accurately measure.
    My guess the difference between successive records is on average getting smaller, I guess this only....so get the data and do a convergent series estimate or a simple extrapolation.

My hypothesis is the series is convergent, common sense here, and the limit is not much higher than current speeds.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  17. May 18, 2016 #16
    By my previous investigations, the physical limit was 15m/s, while the world record was 9.8 or so m/s, but I think that can be pushed to 23-25 m/s at maximum without sustaining damage. I want to know if, in a hypothetical scenario, a machine free of endurance issues and physical wear with the same structure and mass could top that limit at 40 m/s or higher.

18. May 18, 2016 #17
    If you are talking about a machine built like a human than I don't believe control technology is that good yet.

19. May 18, 2016 #18
    Can you plot a graph of world records V time?

20. May 18, 2016 #19
    I said previously my questions reach into sci-fi territory. I'm not asking if it exists yet, I'm asking if the structure is capable of running 40m/s.

21. May 18, 2016 #20
    Well in SCI FICTION yes, in fact a human can run faster than light speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted