How Do I Solve These Physics 1 Homework Problems?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with their physics homework and requesting assistance with specific problems. The problems involve calculating the time for two balls to reach the same height, the maximum height and time of a model rocket, the initial speed and speed at a certain height of a leaping armadillo, and the average velocity, instantaneous velocity, and instantaneous acceleration of a particle moving along the x-axis. The person is advised to use the formulas in their book and make an effort before seeking help.
rkw6
hey, I am taking physics 1 and i have homework, but I am not sure where to start or how to do the problems! my book is NOT helpful, so if anyone can help me it will be greatly appreiciated!

1)A ball is thrown upward from the ground with an initial speed of 23.3 m/s; at the same instant, a ball is dropped from a building 13.4 m high. After how long will the balls be at the same height?

2)A model rocket is launched straight upward with an initial speed of 49.6 m/s. It accelerates with a constant upward acceleration of 2.01 m/s2 until its engines stop at an altitude of 170 m. What is the maximum height reached by the rocket?How long after lift off does the rocket reach its maximum height? How long is the rocket in the air?

3)A startled armadillo leaps upward rising 0.444 m in 0.230 s. What was its initial speed?What is its speed at this height?How much higher does it go?

4)A particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation
x = 47 t + 8t2

(where t is in seconds and x is in meters). Calculate the average velocity of the particle during the first 3.0 s of its motion.Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the particle at t = 3.0 s.Calculate the instantaneous acceleration of the particle at t = 3.0 s.

If anyone can help with ANY of these, it would be a huge help!

Physics news on Phys.org
rkw6 said:
hey, I am taking physics 1 and i have homework, but I am not sure where to start or how to do the problems! my book is NOT helpful, so if anyone can help me it will be greatly appreiciated!

1)A ball is thrown upward from the ground with an initial speed of 23.3 m/s; at the same instant, a ball is dropped from a building 13.4 m high. After how long will the balls be at the same height?

2)A model rocket is launched straight upward with an initial speed of 49.6 m/s. It accelerates with a constant upward acceleration of 2.01 m/s2 until its engines stop at an altitude of 170 m. What is the maximum height reached by the rocket?How long after lift off does the rocket reach its maximum height? How long is the rocket in the air?

3)A startled armadillo leaps upward rising 0.444 m in 0.230 s. What was its initial speed?What is its speed at this height?How much higher does it go?

4)A particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation
x = 47 t + 8t2

(where t is in seconds and x is in meters). Calculate the average velocity of the particle during the first 3.0 s of its motion.Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the particle at t = 3.0 s.Calculate the instantaneous acceleration of the particle at t = 3.0 s.

If anyone can help with ANY of these, it would be a huge help!

Welcome to PF.

I'm sure your book has formulas that cover the material. Which ones do you think applies? People will help you sort it out if you have made an effort, but alas doing your work for you is not in the cards.

1) To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion for constant acceleration. First, we need to set up equations for the vertical motion of each ball. For the ball thrown upward, we have: y = y0 + v0t - (1/2)gt^2, where y is the height, y0 is the initial height (which is 0 in this case), v0 is the initial velocity (23.3 m/s), g is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. For the ball dropped from the building, we have: y = y0 - (1/2)gt^2, where y0 is the initial height (13.4 m) and all other variables are the same.

To find the time when the balls are at the same height, we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for t. This gives us t = 2.46 seconds, meaning that after 2.46 seconds, both balls will be at the same height.

2) To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion again. This time, we need to find the maximum height reached by the rocket, which is when its final velocity is 0. We can use the equation vf^2 = v0^2 + 2ad, where vf is the final velocity (0 m/s), v0 is the initial velocity (49.6 m/s), a is the acceleration (2.01 m/s^2), and d is the displacement (maximum height) of the rocket. Solving for d, we get a maximum height of 385.3 m.

To find the time when the rocket reaches its maximum height, we can use the equation vf = v0 + at, where vf is the final velocity (0 m/s), v0 is the initial velocity (49.6 m/s), a is the acceleration (2.01 m/s^2), and t is the time. Solving for t, we get a time of 24.6 seconds.

To find the total time the rocket is in the air, we can use the equation vf = v0 + at, where vf is the final velocity (0 m/s), v0 is the initial velocity (49.6 m/s), a is the acceleration (2.01 m/s^2), and t is the total

1. What are the steps to solving a physics problem?

Solving a physics problem involves the following steps:

1. Read and understand the problem carefully.
  2. Identify the relevant concepts and equations.
  3. Draw a diagram or visualize the problem.
  4. Substitute the given values into the appropriate equations.
  5. Solve for the unknown quantity.
  6. Check your answer for accuracy and units.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

Some ways to improve your understanding of physics include:

1. Practice solving problems regularly.
  2. Read and review your textbook and class notes.
  3. Attend lectures and ask questions.
  4. Work with a study group or tutor.
  5. Watch educational videos or demonstrations.
  6. Apply physics concepts to real-world situations.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in physics problem solving?

Some common mistakes to avoid in physics problem solving include:

1. Using incorrect equations or formulas.
  2. Not paying attention to units or using incorrect units.
  3. Not following the correct order of operations.
  4. Forgetting to include all relevant forces or components in a problem.
  5. Not checking your answer for accuracy and units.

4. How can I use physics in my daily life?

Physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including:

1. Understanding the behavior of objects in motion, such as cars or bicycles.
  2. Creating and improving technology, such as smartphones and computers.
  3. Managing energy and electricity usage in our homes.
  4. Understanding and predicting weather patterns.
  5. Designing and building structures like bridges and buildings.

5. What resources can I use to help me with my physics homework?

Some resources for help with physics homework include:

1. Your textbook and class notes.
  2. Online tutorials and educational websites.
  3. Tutoring services or study groups.
  4. Physics simulations and virtual labs.
  5. Reference books and problem-solving guides.