I really do not get proofs AT ALL.

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary: In this type of proof, all possible cases are considered and shown to be true. This can be a tedious and time-consuming process, but it guarantees that the conclusion is true for all possible cases.For the second problem, a "constructive existence proof" means finding an example of a solution that satisfies the given equation. On the other hand, a "nonconstructive proof" means showing that a solution exists without explicitly providing an example.To approach these equations, you can start by using algebraic methods to manipulate the equations and try to make them easier to work with. As for which proof to use, it depends on the specific problem and what you are trying to prove. In some cases, a constructive proof may be easier to find
XodoX
I really do not get proofs AT ALL. Stuff like this...

"Prove that (n+1)2 [tex]\geq[/tex]3n if n is a positive integer with n[tex]\leq[/tex]4."

Proof by exhaustion would be applied here.. what the book tells me.

"Show that there are no solutions in integers x and y of x2+3y2=8."

Then there's also "Constructive Existence Proof" and "Nonconstructive proof". No idea how to do anyone of them. How do I approach those equations, and how do I know which proof I need to use??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I've edited out some whining and language. :grumpy:

Something is a (formal) proof if and only if it adheres to a certain set of directions. (the rules of logic)

There is a wide variety of proofs, because the rules of logic allow many different possibilities at each step of the proof.

The "game" of proving things is to find a proof that starts with a useful hypothesis and ends with a useful conclusion. (And in this problem, you're told what the hypothesis and the conclusion are)

Now, what do the rules of logic say a "proof by exhaustion" is?

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of proof in order to accurately and confidently support any hypotheses or theories. Proofs are essential in the field of science as they provide evidence and support for claims or statements. They allow us to validate our ideas and make logical conclusions based on established facts and principles.

Proofs can be intimidating and confusing, especially if you are not familiar with mathematical notation or terminology. However, with practice and understanding, anyone can learn to read and write proofs effectively.

In regards to the first statement, it is important to understand that proofs are a way of logically showing that a statement is true. In this case, the statement is (n+1)2 \geq3n if n is a positive integer with n\leq4. The use of proof by exhaustion means that we will consider all possible values of n (1, 2, 3, and 4) and show that the statement holds true for each of those values. This is a valid approach for this particular problem because there are only a finite number of possible values for n.

For the second statement, x2+3y2=8, we can use a nonconstructive proof. This type of proof shows that a solution does not exist by assuming that a solution exists and then arriving at a contradiction. In this case, we can assume that there are integers x and y that satisfy the equation, and then show that this leads to a contradiction. This would prove that no solutions exist.

As for which proof to use, it is important to first understand the problem and the information given. In some cases, the type of proof may be specified or hinted at in the problem itself. In other cases, you may need to use your understanding of the problem and your knowledge of different proof methods to determine the best approach.

In conclusion, proofs are an important tool in the scientific method and understanding them is crucial for any scientist. With practice and familiarity, you can develop the skills needed to read and write proofs effectively. It is also important to understand the different types of proofs and when to use them in order to approach problems effectively.

1. What are proofs and why are they important in science?

Proofs are logical arguments or demonstrations that show a statement or theorem to be true. In science, proofs help to establish the validity and credibility of a hypothesis or theory, and provide evidence for the conclusions drawn from experiments or observations.

2. Why do some people struggle with understanding proofs?

Understanding proofs requires strong logical reasoning and critical thinking skills, which may not come naturally to everyone. Additionally, the complexity and abstract nature of some proofs can make them difficult to comprehend.

3. How can I improve my understanding of proofs?

Practice and patience are key to improving your understanding of proofs. Start with simpler proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to discuss proofs with others and seek out resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. Are there any tips for approaching proofs?

One helpful approach is to break down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps. Try to identify the key concepts and assumptions, and make sure you understand the logic behind each step. You can also try to relate the proof to real-world examples or visualize the problem to gain a better understanding.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when dealing with proofs?

One common mistake is to assume that a proof is incorrect simply because it is difficult to understand. It is important to carefully examine each step and understand the reasoning behind it before jumping to conclusions. It is also important to pay attention to details and not overlook any assumptions or conditions stated in the proof.