I thought circuits had to be closed

In summary, you can find potential difference across the two terminals of a battery when they're not connected by calculating V = I*R.
joel amos

Homework Statement

I am supposed to determine the potential differences between the points. However, I thought circuits had to be closed...
2w5n9ck.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Such a circuit would have to be closed in order for current to flow, but not for voltages to exist. If there is no current, then no voltage is dropped across each resistor.

Circuits have to be closed for current to flow continuously, but potential difference does not depend upon a closed path or on continuous current flow. It is enough that there is some path between the points so that can do a "KVL walk" from one to the other, adding up the potential changes along the way.

Stephen Tashi said:
If there is no current, then no voltage is dropped across each resistor.
So how then do I calculate potential difference without current?

I'd usually use the formula V = I*R.

joel amos said:

I'd usually use the formula V = I*R.
Yes, and if I=0?

gneill said:
Yes, and if I=0?
Well, then there would be no drop in voltage. Does this mean that the potential difference at all three points is the same?

EDIT: Well I guess there would be current through R2.

So then would the potential difference between A and B be 9 V, the difference between A and C be 9 V, and the difference C and B be 0 V?

Last edited:
joel amos said:
Well, then there would be no drop in voltage. Does this mean that the potential difference at all three points is the same?
Not quite. The battery will maintain a fixed potential difference regardless of current flow or not.
EDIT: Well I guess there would be current through R2.

So then would the potential difference between A and B be 9 V, the difference between A and C be 9 V, and the difference C and B be 0 V?
Yup.

joel amos said:

How do you find potential difference across the two terminals of a battery when they aren't connected ?
What would the potential difference be in the ends of two unconnected wires that had their other ends connected to opposite terminals of a battery?

1. Why do circuits have to be closed?

Circuits need to be closed in order for electricity to flow and for the circuit to function properly. When a circuit is closed, it forms a complete loop, allowing the flow of electrons from the power source to the load and back again.

2. What happens if a circuit is not closed?

If a circuit is not closed, it is considered an open circuit and electricity cannot flow. This means that the load, such as a light bulb, will not receive any power and will not turn on.

3. Can a circuit be partially closed?

No, a circuit must be completely closed for electricity to flow. If there is a break or gap in the circuit, the flow of electrons will stop and the circuit will not work.

4. How do you close a circuit?

A circuit can be closed by connecting all the components in a loop using conductive materials, such as wires, and ensuring that there are no breaks or gaps in the circuit.

5. Are there any exceptions to circuits needing to be closed?

In some cases, circuits may be designed to have switches or breakers that can open and close the circuit. However, these switches must be closed in order for the circuit to function properly.