1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'd like some feedback on my approach to solving this integral

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    1. I gave myself the task of solving the indefinite integral of an exponential function whose base is any real valued constant and whose power is a logarithm of the variable I am integrating over. Now my question is not how to solve it, but rather, whether or not my approach was efficient. I've just started practicing doing the u-substitutions, so my approach was centered around that, but it also involved integration by parts. Below is an image of my paper containing all the information I think is needed.

6AjLzpHl.jpg

Was my choice of technique good or could I have solved this integral in some other manner?
    (Also, I removed the points 2) and 3) which comes with every thread here. I think the image speaks for itself.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2
    There is a faster way. Note that [itex] a^{lnx}=(e^{lna})^{lnx}=(e^{lnx})^{lna}=x^{lna} [/itex], which is very easy to integrate. Your answer can be simplified by noting that [itex] e^{lnx}=x [/itex] as long as x>0, and the two answers will be identical.

Edit: This is a minor point, but never forget your constant of integration!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted