Approximating integrals of Bessel functions

In summary, the inner coefficient in 8.92 can be found by multiplying the upper limit functions and their coefficients, and then canceling the factor of pi from the numerator.
pherytic
I edited this to remove some details/attempts that I no longer think are correct or helpful.

But my core issue is I have never seen this approach to approximating integrals that is used in the attached textbook image. Any more details on what is happening here, or advice on where to learn more about these methods would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• 8.2tube.png
    8.2tube.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, the asymptotics of Bessel functions can be found in many books. A very good one, introducing the various special functions needed in theoretical physics using physics motivations is A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 6.

vanhees71 said:
Hm, the asymptotics of Bessel functions can be found in many books. A very good one, introducing the various special functions needed in theoretical physics using physics motivations is A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 6.

I believe I know what the asymptotic functions are, but my issue is how to use them to justify the inner coefficient and integrand in 8.92. Maybe I should post some of the details I had typed out.

I don't know why the latex is not working now, I am trying to fix it

So, if I simplify the full integrand expression in 8.90, I get, for the upper limit:

$$x \frac {I_m(x)}{ K_m(x)} K'(x\varrho/R) K(x\varrho/R) = - \frac{R}{2\varrho}exp(-2x(\varrho/R - 1)$$

and probably it is okay to neglect the -1 in the exponential here.

For the ##m \neq 0## lower limit terms,

$$x \frac {I_m(x)}{ K_m(x)} K'(x\varrho/R) K(x\varrho/R) = (\frac{R}{\varrho})^{2m+1}$$

which clearly will be small near the lower limit.

For the ##m = 0## lower limit term, I get:

$$x \frac {I_m(x)}{ K_m(x)} K'(x\varrho/R) K(x\varrho/R) = -\frac{R}{\varrho} -\frac{R}{\varrho}ln(\frac{R}{\varrho})[\frac{1}{(ln(2)-ln(x)}]$$

Where the first term should be small enough to neglect and probably the ##ln(2)## can be neglected as well.

So, for the upper limit I have:

$$-\frac{R}{2\varrho}exp(-2x(\varrho/R))$$

and for the lower limit I have:

$$\frac{R}{\varrho}ln(\frac{R}{\varrho})[\frac{1}{ln(x)}]$$

But I do not see how to actually get 8.92. How are these two results being combined?

Why would I multiply these functions but not their full coefficients? I can't make sense of the inner coefficient in 8.92. Why is it just the coefficient of 8.91? At a minimum why is there still a factor of pi in the numerator? The factor of pi from 8.91 is canceled by the one coming from the ##I_m(x)/K_m(x)## when simplifying the upper limit functions. And why does the coefficient of the lower limit function just getting ignored.

1. What are Bessel functions and why are they important in integration?

Bessel functions are a type of special mathematical function that are used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering. They are important in integration because they arise naturally in many physical systems, making them useful for solving real-world problems.

2. How are Bessel functions typically approximated in integration?

Bessel functions can be approximated using a variety of methods, including numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using numerical calculations to approximate the value of each part.

3. What are some common applications of approximating integrals of Bessel functions?

Approximating integrals of Bessel functions has many practical applications, including in the fields of electromagnetics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They can also be used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, sound waves, and fluid dynamics.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges when it comes to approximating integrals of Bessel functions?

One limitation of approximating integrals of Bessel functions is that they can be computationally intensive, especially for higher order functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the number of terms used in the approximation increases.

5. Are there any other methods besides numerical integration for approximating integrals of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are other methods for approximating integrals of Bessel functions, such as using series expansions or special functions such as the Gauss-Laguerre quadrature. These methods may be more accurate or efficient for certain types of Bessel functions, but may also have their own limitations and challenges.