How Does Altitude Affect the Properties of Helium in a Balloon?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect a balloon filled with helium as it rises. It is determined that the force that makes the balloon go up is greater than the force pulling it down, causing it to rise. The number of helium-moles is found to be constant, while the density, volume and mass of the helium are affected by the decrease in pressure and temperature. It is also confirmed that the pressure inside the balloon remains constant.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have a balloon on the ground, where it is 20 degrees celcius, and it has a volume of 5L (it is filled with helium). The pressure at the ground is 1 atmosphere. The balloon itself (without helium) weighs 0.1 kg.

I find the force that makes the balloon go up to be:

F_up = (m_air)*g = 58.96 N

F_down = (m_Helium + m_ballon) * g = 9.13 N

So the balloon will go up.

I can also find the number of Helium-moles from n = m/M, and I find that n = 207 moles.

The Attempt at a Solution

My questions are:

As the balloon goes up, the pressure goes down and so does the temperature. I want to know, which parametres are affected by this?

The density of the helium? Yes, because density is written as "rho" = M*p/(R*T), so this changes.

The volume of the helium? yes, this changes as well.

The number of helium-moles? No, this is constant too.

The mass of the helium? Yes, this gets smaller when the temperature goes down since "rho" = m/V.

The pressure inside the balloon? No, this stays the same.

Can you guys please confirm this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
- the pressure of the balloon is constant also, right?

Yes, your understanding is correct. As the balloon rises and the temperature and pressure decrease, the density and volume of the helium will change, but the number of moles will remain constant. This is because the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, shows that the number of moles is directly proportional to the pressure and temperature. As the pressure and temperature decrease, the volume and density of the gas will also decrease. The pressure inside the balloon will remain constant because the balloon is sealed and the gas inside is in equilibrium.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

2. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, also known as the universal gas law, states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of temperature and the number of moles of a gas. It can be expressed as PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

3. What are the assumptions of an ideal gas?

The assumptions of an ideal gas are that the gas particles have negligible volume, there are no intermolecular forces between particles, and the particles are in constant random motion.

4. What are the units for the ideal gas law?

The units for the ideal gas law depend on the units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and the gas constant. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and the gas constant (R) can have units of L·atm/mol·K or J/mol·K.

5. How is the ideal gas law used in real-world applications?

The ideal gas law is used in many real-world applications, including gas laws experiments, gas behavior in engines and turbines, and in the design of gas storage containers. It is also used in the study of atmospheric gases and the behavior of gases in chemical reactions.