Find Spring Constant of Elastic Rope: Mountain Climber Problem

• Thread starter Ertosthnes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: The mountain climber of mass 60 kg slips and falls a distance of 4 m, at which time he reaches the end of his elastic safety rope. The rope then stretches an additional 2 m before the climber comes to rest. What is the spring constant of the rope, assuming it obeys Hooke's law? The spring constant of the rope is 294 N/m.
Ertosthnes
A mountain climber of mass 60 kg slips and falls a distance of 4 m, at which tmie he reaches the end of his elastic safety rope. The rope then stretches an additional 2 m before the climber comes to rest. What is the spring constant of the rope, assuming it obeys Hooke's law?

a) 1.76*10^3
b) 3.52*10^3
c) 5.28*10^3
d) 7.04*10^3

I would think that F = kx = mg, where k(2) = (60)9.8 and k = 294 N/m, but that's not one of the choices. Alternatively, I thought that kx = (1/2)mv(f)^2 where v(f)^2 = 2gx and v(f) = 8.85 m/s, but that gives k = 1.17*10^3, which isn't a choice either.

Help please! It would be great if I could get help on this by tomorrow morning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation is the right idea. The climber falls from rest and in the process loses gravitational potential energy (GPE). Initially, the GPE is converted to kinetic energy, but then the kinetic energy is converted into elastic energy in the rope. How much kinetic energy is there when the climber stops falling? What is the total change in GPE at that point? What is the elastic energy at that point?

When the climber reaches the end of the rope his kinetic energy is (1/2)mv(f)^2 = 2350 J. The change in GPE is mg(h(o) - h(f)) = -2352 J.

But I'm still not sure what the elastic potential energy is because I don't know k in (1/2)kx^2. Is (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)mv(f)^2 + mg(h(o) - h(f)), or something along those lines? I'm still not getting the right value for k.

You are correct to use [tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex] for the elastic energy but you do not need to involve kinetic energy just the difference in potential which is.

[tex] P.E. = 6mg [/tex]

now all that potential must be turned into elastic energy.

Aha, got it. For some reason I didn't want to use those last two meters of PE before. Thank you!

Related to Find Spring Constant of Elastic Rope: Mountain Climber Problem

1. What is the purpose of finding the spring constant of an elastic rope in a mountain climber problem?

The spring constant of an elastic rope is a measure of its stiffness or how much it stretches when a force is applied to it. In a mountain climber problem, knowing the spring constant helps determine the maximum weight the rope can safely support without breaking.

2. How is the spring constant of an elastic rope calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to the rope by the amount of stretch or displacement it undergoes. This relationship is expressed by Hooke's Law: F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant of an elastic rope?

The spring constant of an elastic rope can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the rope, the temperature, and any damage or wear on the rope. It can also vary depending on the type of knot used to secure the rope.

4. How does the slope of a force vs. displacement graph relate to the spring constant?

The slope of a force vs. displacement graph represents the spring constant, with a steeper slope indicating a higher spring constant. This is because a larger force would be needed to produce the same amount of displacement for a rope with a higher spring constant.

5. Can the spring constant of an elastic rope change over time?

Yes, the spring constant of an elastic rope can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, exposure to extreme temperatures, or damage from overloading. It is important to regularly test and replace ropes in mountain climbing to ensure safety.