Ideal Transformer: Solve for Turn Ratio, kVA Rating, Primary Current

• Thread starter eehelp150
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the turn ratio for an ideal transformer can be determined by dividing the number of turns in the secondary coil by the number of turns in the primary coil. This ratio, also known as the voltage ratio, determines the relationship between input and output voltages. To solve for the kVA rating of an ideal transformer, the formula kVA = (Vp x Ip)/1000 can be used, where Vp is the primary voltage and Ip is the primary current. The turn ratio is significant in an ideal transformer as it affects power transfer efficiency and impedance transformation ratio. The primary current of an ideal transformer can be calculated by dividing the secondary current by the turn ratio. If the secondary current and turn ratio are known, the primary current
eehelp150

Homework Statement

Ideal Transformer:
rated: 11000/4600 V
secondary current: 30A

Find turn ratio, kVA rating, primary current

Homework Equations

S=VI
N=V2/V1

The Attempt at a Solution

Are these correct?
Turn ratio: N=V2/V1 = 0.418
kVA = S1*I1 = S2*I2 = 4600*30 = 138kVA
Primary current: V1*I2 = V2*I2=>I1=(4600*30)/(11000) = 12.5A

Physics news on Phys.org
eehelp150 said:
Are these correct?
Turn ratio: N=V2/V1 = 0.418
kVA = S1*I1 = S2*I2 = 4600*30 = 138kVA
Primary current: V1*I2 = V2*I2=>I1=(4600*30)/(11000) = 12.5A
Yes.

1. How do I determine the turn ratio for an ideal transformer?

The turn ratio for an ideal transformer can be calculated by dividing the number of turns in the secondary coil by the number of turns in the primary coil. This is also known as the voltage ratio, as it determines the relationship between the input and output voltages of the transformer.

2. How can I solve for the kVA rating of an ideal transformer?

To solve for the kVA rating of an ideal transformer, you can use the formula kVA = (Vp x Ip)/1000, where Vp is the primary voltage and Ip is the primary current. This will give you the apparent power rating of the transformer in kilovolt-amperes (kVA).

3. What is the significance of the turn ratio in an ideal transformer?

The turn ratio in an ideal transformer is important because it determines the voltage ratio and current ratio between the primary and secondary coils. It also affects the power transfer efficiency and determines the impedance transformation ratio of the transformer.

4. How can I calculate the primary current of an ideal transformer?

The primary current of an ideal transformer can be calculated by dividing the secondary current by the turn ratio. This means that the primary current will be lower than the secondary current, depending on the turn ratio of the transformer.

5. How do I solve for the primary current if the secondary current and turn ratio are known?

If you know the secondary current and turn ratio of an ideal transformer, you can solve for the primary current by multiplying the secondary current by the reciprocal of the turn ratio. This will give you the primary current, which will be lower than the secondary current.