Ideas for Lab Experiment Protocols

In summary: Another idea involved throwing basketballs into hoops: with competion and without. It involved 20 sports players in line to throw the balls into the hoops, and data was calculated with each ball thrown into the hoops. The subjects would go inside the gym one by one to throw the balls into the hoop. After they were finished, scores for each player would be shown on a screen to show the results and the experiment will be repeated a second time. The data has to be disguised as best as possible because it would obviously effect the results if the subjects knew what they would be tested on.The most difficult part is coming up with a relatively original idea, and we were only given three days to do this before we have to round up
Emperor
I need some ideas for an assignment in Physics: I am to determine an experimental protcol which will allow me to determine if statistical differences occur in the data that I will collect. I am collecting data to find the reaction time of two subjects.

For example, one student a few years ago brought people into this room to try a "homemade soda" (when in reality was simply Sprite). Before drinking it, the subject would play a computer game where a color will flash on the screen and you have to click the button the moment it flashes. Then after drinking it, they would do the same test again to see if anything changed.

Basically it involved psychologically manipulating the subjects to think you're comparing the reaction time between someone who drank soda to someone who didn't, to someone who did, in order to get the "true" data you are looking for without telling them.

Another idea involved throwing basketballs into hoops: with competion and without. It involved 20 sports players in line to throw the balls into the hoops, and data was calculated with each ball thrown into the hoops. The subjects would go inside the gym one by one to throw the balls into the hoop. After they were finished, scores for each player would be shown on a screen to show the results and the experiment will be repeated a second time. The data has to be disguised as best as possible because it would obviously effect the results if the subjects knew what they would be tested on.

The most difficult part is coming up with a relatively original idea, and we were only given three days to do this before we have to round up all the subjects and prepare a lab report, and they must all involve finding two reaction times of some sort. I feel bad for asking for assisstance with homework but its stressing me over. Ideas would be appreciated, thank you. If it helps, this is high school Physics so there is no need to have a truly complexed idea.

Edit: Ugh, I posted this in the wrong section. That is simply what I deserve for staying up so late lol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emperor said:
For example, one student a few years ago brought people into this room to try a "homemade soda" (when in reality was simply Sprite). Before drinking it, the subject would play a computer game where a color will flash on the screen and you have to click the button the moment it flashes. Then after drinking it, they would do the same test again to see if anything changed.

Basically it involved psychologically manipulating the subjects to think you're comparing the reaction time between someone who drank soda to someone who didn't, to someone who did, in order to get the "true" data you are looking for without telling them.
What was the true purpose of the experiment? Just the reaction time? Then I don't see the point of the two steps.

You can do something similar, maybe with a different test of reaction times and a different distraction between. Or test the reaction time (and false positive rate, if the experiment is designed to give a few wrong reactions) when alone and when under observation?

What is the purpose of a lab experiment protocol?

A lab experiment protocol is a detailed plan that outlines the procedures, materials, and methods used in a scientific experiment. It serves as a guide for conducting the experiment in a standardized and reproducible manner, ensuring accurate and reliable results.

How do you come up with ideas for lab experiment protocols?

Ideas for lab experiment protocols can come from a variety of sources. They can be based on previous research, observations, or hypotheses. Collaborating with other scientists, attending conferences, and reviewing scientific literature are also great ways to generate ideas for lab experiment protocols.

What are some key elements that should be included in a lab experiment protocol?

A lab experiment protocol should include a clear and concise title, a brief introduction explaining the purpose of the experiment, a detailed description of the materials and methods used, data collection and analysis procedures, and a conclusion with results and conclusions.

How do you ensure the safety of participants in a lab experiment?

The safety of participants in a lab experiment is of the utmost importance. To ensure their safety, it is important to thoroughly review and follow all safety protocols and guidelines, use appropriate protective equipment, and regularly check and maintain all equipment used in the experiment.

What should be done if unexpected results occur during a lab experiment?

If unexpected results occur during a lab experiment, it is important to carefully analyze and document the results. It may also be necessary to repeat the experiment or make adjustments to the protocol before drawing conclusions. Consulting with other scientists and reviewing relevant literature can also help in understanding and interpreting unexpected results.