Ideas for review paper on combustion

In summary, the speaker is asking for ideas for a research paper on an area of combustion research for their class. They mention not knowing a lot about the field and being interested in sci-fi tie-ins, but acknowledge that FTL drives are not currently feasible. The other speaker suggests writing about the history and fundamentals of internal combustion, as it is a widely used technology with various applications in industries such as automobiles, motorcycles, planes, boats, and electricity production.
engineer23
For a project in my combustion class, I have to do a review paper on an area of combustion research. I don't know a lot about this field or the technologies that are at the forefront, so I was hoping the people on this board could help me out. I'm kind of a sci-fi geek, so I would like something that could be tied into that (unfortunately, the FTL drives of Battlestar Galactica aren't anywhere on the horizon)!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my humble opinion a report on combustion if i wrote it would consist of the history and fundamentals of internal combustion it is a fascinating topic and today is used for such a wide variety of things you could report on any application you are most interested in such as automobiles,motorcycles,planes,boats,rockets and virtually every industry in one way shape or form one topic close to my heart is to use engines to compress natural gas to power companys that then use yet more internal combustion to create electricity.

Related to Ideas for review paper on combustion

What is combustion and why is it important?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a fuel and an oxidant combine to produce heat and light. It is important because it is a fundamental process in many industrial and natural processes, such as energy production and transportation.

What are some common fuels used in combustion?

Common fuels used in combustion include gasoline, diesel, natural gas, coal, and wood. These fuels are rich in carbon and hydrogen, which are necessary for the chemical reaction to occur.

What are the environmental impacts of combustion?

Combustion releases carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. It also produces other pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter, which can contribute to air pollution and health problems.

How can combustion be optimized for efficiency?

One way to optimize combustion efficiency is by using advanced technologies such as catalytic converters and fuel injectors. Another approach is to improve the design of combustion engines to reduce energy loss and increase combustion efficiency.

What are some current research topics in combustion?

Current research in combustion includes developing cleaner and more efficient fuel sources, studying the impact of combustion on the environment, and exploring new technologies for controlling and optimizing combustion processes.