Newton's Second Law: Understanding Forces, Masses, and Acceleration

In summary, the two identical trucks traveling at different constant speeds will collide with the magnitude of the acceleration of truck A being less than that of truck B. This is due to Newton's Third Law, which states that equal and opposite forces will result in equal and opposite accelerations. Since the forces are equal but truck A has a lower velocity, it will experience a smaller acceleration. This holds true regardless of whether the collision is elastic or inelastic.
NicholasJ

Homework Statement

Two identical trucks traveling at different constant speeds are about to collide. The trucks are traveling in opposite directions with truck A going at a velocity of 3m/s right and truck B going at 4m/s left.

During the collision, will the magnitude of the acceleration of truck A be (a) greater than, (b) equal to, or (c) less than the magnitude of the acceleration of truck B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer would be (b) equal to, since they both travel at a constant velocity, but then I realized that during the collision they would be decelerating and so I think that it would be (c) less than, since truck A is going at a slower velocity than truck B and so it would decelerate less.

Can anyone tell me if I'm right or wrong and explain why? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of collision is being considered, elastic or inelastic? If elastic they will both move with different velocities after the collision. Of inelastic, they will both move off together at the same velocity.

Edit: Actually, I might suggest that you ponder the effects that Newton III will dictate for this collision (regardless of the type).

Last edited:
gneill said:
What type of collision is being considered, elastic or inelastic? If elastic they will both move with different velocities after the collision. Of inelastic, they will both move off together at the same velocity.

Edit: Actually, I might suggest that you ponder the effects that Newton III will dictate for this collision (regardless of the type).
Yea I think it's talking about the effects of Newton 3 since that's what we've covered in the lesson. But I am still unsure of how that relates to the magnitude of accelerations. Equal but opposite forces, so would they have the same acceleration?

NicholasJ said:
Yea I think it's talking about the effects of Newton 3 since that's what we've covered in the lesson. But I am still unsure of how that relates to the magnitude of accelerations. Equal but opposite forces, so would they have the same acceleration?
Yes. They have identical masses and the forces are always of the same magnitude. What does Newton II say about forces, masses, and acceleration?

1. What is an identical truck collision?

An identical truck collision is a type of traffic accident where two trucks of the same make, model, and size collide with each other.

2. How common are identical truck collisions?

The frequency of identical truck collisions varies depending on the location and traffic conditions, but they are generally less common than other types of truck accidents.

3. What are the main causes of identical truck collisions?

The main causes of identical truck collisions are typically driver error, mechanical failure, adverse weather conditions, and road hazards.

4. How can identical truck collisions be prevented?

To prevent identical truck collisions, proper maintenance and regular inspections of trucks should be conducted, drivers should adhere to traffic laws and safe driving practices, and roads should be well-maintained and free of hazards.

5. What are the potential consequences of an identical truck collision?

The consequences of an identical truck collision can range from minor injuries to severe injuries or even fatalities for the drivers and passengers involved. It can also result in damage to the vehicles, surrounding property, and traffic delays.