Identifying Cations from Insoluble Precipitates - AgCl, Na2SO4 & More

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
In summary, a student was given a sample of a colourless solution containing three cations and was asked to identify the cations. The student carried out a series of reactions and identified the precipitates A, B, and C as AgCl, calcium sulfate, and a transition metal hydroxide respectively. The cations present in the solution could be any of the following: calcium, barium, silver, strontium, zinc, or iron. The first step of the procedure was to remove Ag+ as AgCl. The student initially thought that Ag+ was still present in the solution, leading to an incorrect identification of the cations. However, it was later clarified that Ag+ was removed in the first step. The transition
TT0

Homework Statement

A student was given a sample of a colourless solution containing three cations and was asked to identify the cations. The student carried out a series of reactions as shown in the flow chart below:

Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 3.55.20 PM.png

From the information above, suggest three cations which could be in the sample and would form the precipitates A, B and C. Give the formula for each precipitate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that precipitate A is AgCl because AgCl is insoluble. This means one of the cations is Ag+. However, I am stuck and don't really know how to move on. In the second step, Na2SO4 solution is added to the AgCl. I am not sure what precipitate will be formed. I am guessing that it has something to do with the other cations but I don't really know. I am pretty sure I have misinterpreted the question so could some please explain where I went wrong?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about AgCl.

What insoluble sulfates do you know? Hydroxides?

It is all about solubility rules.

Calcium sulfate, barium sulfate, lead sulfate, silver sulfate and strontium sulfate are all insoluble. So I guess any of these cations could be in the solution and they can be precipitate B.

Transition metal hydroxides are insoluble. So any transition metal hydroxide can be precipitate C.

I think I got confused and thought that the Na2SO4 was added to precipitate A and not the solution. Are these the answers you are expecting?

Thanks!

TT0 said:
Calcium sulfate, barium sulfate, lead sulfate, silver sulfate and strontium sulfate are all insoluble. So I guess any of these cations could be in the solution and they can be precipitate B.

Not bad, but not entirely correct either. One of these cations is for sure not present in the solution.

Transition metal hydroxides are insoluble. So any transition metal hydroxide can be precipitate C.

White, gelatinous. Compounds of transition metals are rarely colorless.

Not bad, but not entirely correct either. One of these cations is for sure not present in the solution.
I would say lead because I guess it is less reactive than silver so the precipitate formed will be Ag2SO4 and not PbSO4. But this isn't really a logical explanation I think.

White, gelatinous. Compounds of transition metals are rarely colorless.
I am not sure which transition metals produce colourless compounds. I am guessing the neutral element should be a silver colour so maybe zinc or iron?

Cheers!

TT0 said:
I would say lead because I guess it is less reactive than silver so the precipitate formed will be Ag2SO4 and not PbSO4. But this isn't really a logical explanation I think.

What was the very first step of the procedure?

Just try to google for "gelatinous white hydroxide".

What was the very first step of the procedure?

I see, the AgCl was already removed so no silver cations would be left. I misinterpreted the question. :(

Just try to google for "gelatinous white hydroxide".

Zinc and aluminium hydroxides form this. They also dissolve in excess NaOH. Why does this happen? The reaction for zinc is:

Zn2+ + 2NaOH ↔ Zn(OH)2 + 2Na+

If more NaOH is added, then the equilibrium will shift to the right so why does it dissolve again in excess NaOH?

Thanks!

I see thanks! So the answer I gave above is correct?

Yes.

Likes TT0

1. How do I identify cations from insoluble precipitates?

To identify cations from insoluble precipitates, you will need to perform a series of tests using different reagents. The most common tests include the addition of dilute HNO3, dilute H2SO4, and ammonium hydroxide. These tests will help determine the presence of specific cations, such as Ag+, Na+, and more.

2. What is the importance of identifying cations from insoluble precipitates?

Identifying cations from insoluble precipitates is important in many scientific fields, including chemistry, environmental science, and forensic science. It can help determine the presence of certain elements in a sample, which can provide valuable information about the composition and properties of a substance.

3. How does the addition of dilute HNO3 help identify cations from insoluble precipitates?

Dilute HNO3 is commonly used to test for the presence of Ag+ in a sample. When added to a precipitate, it will dissolve any AgCl present, forming a clear solution. This indicates the presence of Ag+ cations in the sample.

4. What is the role of dilute H2SO4 in identifying cations from insoluble precipitates?

Dilute H2SO4 is used to test for the presence of sulfate ions (SO42-) in a sample. When added to a precipitate, it will dissolve any Na2SO4 present, forming a clear solution. This indicates the presence of Na+ cations in the sample.

5. How can ammonium hydroxide be used to identify cations from insoluble precipitates?

Ammonium hydroxide is commonly used to test for the presence of Group 1 and Group 2 cations in a sample. When added to a precipitate, it will form a white precipitate with Group 1 cations and a colored precipitate with Group 2 cations. This helps identify the specific cations present in the sample.