Identifying Singular Points in the Equation of Motion: DE Homework

In summary: So x'= f(x), and there are three singular points: at (0,0), (1,0), and (2,0). So we can identify the singular points by solving for v, and then checking to see if x- 2x^3= 0. In summary, the equation of motion of a particle moving in a straight line is: x'=-2x^3+u, and the singular points are (0,0), (1,0), and (2,0). There are three possible motions of the particle, indicated by the ranges of u for which they occur.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The equation of motion of a particle moving in a straight line is

##x'' - x + 2x^3 = 0##

and ##x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, x' = u > 0## at ##t = 0##. Identify the singular points in the phase plane and sketch the phase trajectories. Describe the possible motions of the particle, indicating the ranges of u for which these motions occur.

The attempt at a solution

I really can't seem to get started on this question -- where are the singular points here, and how might I identify them? The co-efficient of x'' is 1, so it doesn't seem like I can divide by anything useful. I can't set a first derivative equal to zero, because there aren't any in this equation. Is there a form in which I have to rewrite this to get something useful out of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
I can't set a first derivative equal to zero, because there aren't any in this equation.

Multiply throughout by x' and then integrate? :wink:

Not an area I've previously worked in, but my reading of http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahdrb/MATH3401/phaseplane.pdf is that the phase plane for a second order ODE is the plane (x', x). The 2nd order ODE is written as a first order ODE in terms of x and y where y = x'. Singular points refer to that context.

Okay, with tiny-tim's suggestion, I had:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} = (x - 2x^3) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = (x - 2x^3) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\implies \left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = x^2 - x^4 + u^2 - \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

after plugging in our initial conditions.

We must have ##\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 \geq 0##, so we have singularities whenever ##x^2 - x^4 + u^2 - \frac{1}{4} < 0##, i.e. whenever ##(x^2 - \frac{1}{2})^2 > u^2##. That'd give me something of the form x' = f(x) for which I can map a phase-plane plot -- all that remains is to re-arrange and integrate to get an equation in t and x, from which I could probably find the possible motions of the particle, correct?

This is just a matter of applying definitions. First, because this asks about "singular poinnts in the phase plane", we have to convert to the "phase plane"! Let v= x' so that x''= v' and the equation becomes [itex]v'- x+ 2x^3= 0[/itex] or [itex]v'= x- 2x^3[/itex].

So in the "phase plane" we have the pair of equatons [itex]x'= v[/itex], [itex]v'= x- 2x^3[/itex]. A "singular point[/b] is where both x' and v' are 0. That is, where v= 0 and [itex]x- 2x^3= 0[/itex].

Related to Identifying Singular Points in the Equation of Motion: DE Homework

What are singular points of differential equations?

Singular points of differential equations are points in the solution space where the behavior of the solution changes dramatically or where the solution becomes undefined. These points can be critical for understanding the overall behavior of a system described by a differential equation.

How do singular points affect the solutions of differential equations?

Singular points can have a significant impact on the solutions of differential equations. In some cases, they can cause the solutions to be unbounded or oscillate infinitely. In other cases, they can cause the solutions to converge to a single point or to exhibit chaotic behavior.

What are the types of singular points in differential equations?

The three main types of singular points in differential equations are regular, irregular, and essential. Regular singular points have a well-behaved solution, while irregular singular points have a more complicated behavior. Essential singular points are points where the solution is undefined, and the differential equation must be modified to find a solution.

How can singular points be classified?

Singular points can be classified based on the behavior of the solutions around them. They can be classified as stable or unstable, depending on whether the solutions approach or diverge from the point. They can also be classified as non-isolated, where there are multiple singular points close to each other, or isolated, where there is only one singular point in the solution space.

What are the applications of studying singular points of differential equations?

Studying singular points of differential equations has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. Understanding the behavior of a system near singular points can help predict and control its overall behavior. It is also essential for developing numerical methods for solving differential equations and for analyzing the stability of solutions.