Identity in statistics that frequently pops up

In summary: You didn't need to drag in the equation you were trying to prove again in the last line, and you certainly didn't need to rewrite the equation in different terms, which is what lines 6--9 effectively do. All you needed to do was to stop at line (3).
pandaBee

Homework Statement

In my statistics notes/lectures my professor will oftentimes use an identity that looks like the following:
x_i is a non random variable, the summand is from i=1 to n;
This segment comes from notes on linear regression (y_0 = b_0 + b_1*x_i)

I actually forgot to mention that x-bar is supposed to be squared on the LHS, sorry about that.
∑(x_i)^2 - n*x-bar^2 = Σ(x_i - x-bar)^2
However I just do not see how this works out at all!
When I work it It turns out that x-bar = 1 but this doesn't make sense to me at all in the context.

Does anyone have some insight they could provide me?

********EDIT*****
After working through it a few times I actually solved the identity myself, however I am still curious if there's perhaps a more elegant way to power through the proof compared to the way I personally did below. Sorry for the confusion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Σ(x_i - x-bar)^2
= Σ(x_i^2 - 2*x-bar*x_i + x-bar^2)

= Σ(x_i^2) - 2*x-barΣ(x_i) + n*x-bar^2 = ∑(x_i)^2 - n*x-bar^2 (by the above equation in part 1)

⇒-2*x-barΣ(x_i) + n*x-bar^2 = - n*x-bar^2

If you divide both sides by x-bar^2;
-2Σ(x_i)/(x-bar) + n = -n
= -2*n*x-bar/(x-bar) + n = -n
= -2n + n = -n
or - n = - n

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pandaBee said:

Homework Statement

In my statistics notes/lectures my professor will oftentimes use an identity that looks like the following:
x_i is a non random variable, the summand is from i=1 to n;
This segment comes from notes on linear regression (y_0 = b_0 + b_1*x_i)

I actually forgot to mention that x-bar is supposed to be squared on the LHS, sorry about that.
∑(x_i)^2 - n*x-bar^2 = Σ(x_i - x-bar)^2
However I just do not see how this works out at all!
When I work it It turns out that x-bar = 1 but this doesn't make sense to me at all in the context.

Does anyone have some insight they could provide me?

********EDIT*****
After working through it a few times I actually solved the identity myself, however I am still curious if there's perhaps a more elegant way to power through the proof compared to the way I personally did below. Sorry for the confusion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Σ(x_i - x-bar)^2
= Σ(x_i^2 - 2*x-bar*x_i + x-bar^2)

= Σ(x_i^2) - 2*x-barΣ(x_i) + n*x-bar^2 = ∑(x_i)^2 - n*x-bar^2 (by the above equation in part 1)

⇒-2*x-barΣ(x_i) + n*x-bar^2 = - n*x-bar^2

If you divide both sides by x-bar^2;
-2Σ(x_i)/(x-bar) + n = -n
= -2*n*x-bar/(x-bar) + n = -n
= -2n + n = -n
or - n = - n

Your method is the standard one, and is about as elegant and simple as you can get. However, you carried on way past the point you needed to. You were already done at line (3) [the one with the statement "by the above equation in part 1"]. At that point you have obtained exactly what you started out wanting to prove, so what possible use would any of the remaining material (in lines 4--9) be to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is identity in statistics?

Identity in statistics refers to the concept that a variable or characteristic of an individual or group remains the same throughout the data collection process. It is also known as an "identity function" or "identity transformation." This means that the value of the variable does not change, regardless of any operations or transformations applied to it.

2. How is identity used in statistical analysis?

In statistical analysis, identity is often used as a reference point or baseline for comparison. For example, when calculating the change or difference between two variables, the starting value is often considered the identity. Additionally, identity can be used to simplify equations and make calculations more efficient.

3. Can identity be applied to categorical data?

Yes, identity can be applied to categorical data. In this case, the identity function simply states that the category of the variable remains the same throughout the data collection process. For example, if a survey asks for a person's gender, the identity function would indicate that the gender remains the same for that individual throughout the survey.

4. How does identity differ from other statistical concepts like correlation or causation?

Unlike correlation or causation, identity is not concerned with the relationship between variables. Instead, it focuses on the values of a single variable and ensures that they remain constant throughout the data collection process. Correlation and causation, on the other hand, analyze how variables are related and the potential causes and effects between them.

5. What are some common examples of identity in statistics?

Some common examples of identity in statistics include using the starting value of a variable as the identity for calculating changes or differences, using identity to simplify equations or calculations, and considering the category of a variable as the identity in categorical data. It can also be applied in experimental design to ensure that the treatment group and control group are identical in all aspects except for the treatment being tested.