If a+bi is a root of F, then a-bi is too

• Thread starter Elzair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, if a + bi is a root of f(x), then a - bi is also a root of f(x) and vice versa. This is because a polynomial in R[x] can be factored as (x-a)(x-b)...(x-c), where all the factors are real, and the complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. Therefore, if (x-a+bi) is a factor of f(x), then (x-a-bi) is also a factor of f(x), making a - bi a root of f(x) as well.
Elzair

Homework Statement

Given [tex]f\left(x\right) \in \mathbb{R}\left[x\right][/tex], if [tex]a + bi[/tex] is a root of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex], then [tex]a - bi[/tex] is a root of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex] as well.

Homework Equations

Factor Theorem: if [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex] is a polynomial over a ring with identity, then [tex]a[/tex] is a root of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex] if and only if [tex]\left(x - a\right)[/tex] is a factor of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I did not do this in the standard way, but I was wondering if it still worked.

If [tex]a + bi[/tex] is a root of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex], then [tex]f\left(a + bi\right) = 0[/tex], and so by the Factor Theorem [tex]x - \left(a + bi\right)[/tex] is a factor of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex].

Since [tex]\left(a + bi\right) \notin \mathbb{R}[/tex], [tex]\left(x - \left(a + bi\right)\right) \notin \mathbb{R}}\left[x\right][/tex].

Therefore, [tex]\exists \left(c + di\right)[/tex] such that [tex]\left(x - \left(a + bi\right)\right)\left(x - \left(c + di\right)\right) \in \mathbb{R}}\left[x\right][/tex].

[tex]\left(x - \left(a + bi\right)\right)\left(x - \left(c + di\right)\right)[/tex]
[tex]=x^{2} - x\left(c + di\right) - x\left(a + bi\right) + \left(a + bi\right)\left(c + di\right)[/tex]
[tex]=x^{2} - x\left(a + c\right) - x\left(b + d\right)i + \left(ac + \left(ad + bc\right)i - bd\right) [/tex]
[tex]=x^{2} - x\left(a + c\right) - x\left(b + d\right)i + \left(ac + \left(ad + bc\right)i - bd\right) [/tex]
[tex]=x^{2} - x\left(a + c\right) + ac - bd \left( ad + bc - x\left(b + d\right)\right)i[/tex]

If [tex]\left(x^{2} - x\left(a + c\right) + ac - bd + \left( ad + bc - x\left(b + d\right)\right)i\right) \in \mathbb{R}}\left[x\right][/tex], [tex]ad + bc - xb - xd = 0[/tex]

Set [tex]c = a[/tex] and [tex]d = -b[/tex].

[tex]x^{2} - x\left(2a\right) + a^{2} - b^{2} + \left( ba - ab - x\left(b - b\right)\right)i[/tex]
[tex]= x^{2} - x\left(2a\right) + a^{2} - b^{2} \in \mathbb{R}\left[x\right][/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\left(x - \left(a - bi\right)\right)[/tex] is a factor of [tex]f\left(x\right)}\left[x\right][/tex], so [tex]a - bi[/tex] is a root of [tex]f\left(x\right)[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}\left[x\right][/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
You are way overcomplicating this, and missing an important point. Even if f(x) is quadratic it doesn't need to start as x^2+... A polynomial in R[x] has the form f(x)=a_n*x^n+a_{n-1}*x^(n-1)+...+a1*x+a0, where all of the a's are REAL, right? If f(x)=0 what does taking the complex conjugate tell you?

1. What does it mean when a+bi is a root of F?

When a+bi is a root of F, it means that when the value of a+bi is substituted into the equation F, it satisfies the equation and makes it equal to 0.

2. What is the significance of a-bi also being a root of F?

The significance of a-bi also being a root of F is that it shows that the equation F is symmetrical with respect to the real axis. This means that it has a mirror image on the complex plane.

3. How does this relate to the complex conjugate root theorem?

This relates to the complex conjugate root theorem, which states that if a polynomial with real coefficients has a complex root, then its conjugate is also a root. In this case, the polynomial F has complex roots a+bi and a-bi, both of which are conjugates of each other.

4. Can there be more than two roots that follow this pattern?

Yes, there can be more than two roots that follow this pattern. If a+bi is a root of F, then a-bi is also a root. Similarly, if c+di is a root of F, then c-di is also a root. This pattern can continue for any number of complex roots.

5. How is this concept used in solving complex equations?

This concept is used in solving complex equations by identifying and pairing complex roots that follow this pattern. This allows for simplification and reduction of the equation, making it easier to find the remaining roots. It also helps in identifying the symmetry of the equation, which can provide valuable insights in solving it.