If AB^2-A Invertible Prove that BA-A Invertible

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThankYou
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
ThankYou
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


As in the tile
If AB^2-A is a Invertible matrix Prove that BA-A is also a Invertible matrix



Homework Equations


liner algebra 1 , only the start...


The Attempt at a Solution


Made many things noting work

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've solve it..
Thank you..
AB^2-A = A(B^2-I)
Means that A and (B^2-I) are Invertible
(B-I)(B+I) are Invertible and so
A(B-I) Is Invertible
 
ThankYou said:
I've solve it..
Thank you..
AB^2-A = A(B^2-I)
Means that A and (B^2-I) are Invertible
(B-I)(B+I) are Invertible and so
A(B-I) Is Invertible
You're supposed to show that BA - A is invertible.

A(B - I) = AB - A, which is not necessarily equal to BA - A.
 
Nevertheless, we can save this reasoning provided you are allowed to use det(AB)=det(A)det(B).
 
Then we can just say det(AB2-A)=det(A)det(B-I)det(B+I) is nonzero, so det(BA-A)=det(B-I)det(A) is nonzero.