If f has the IVP, prove kf does too

• Thread starter k3k3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, given that f has the intermediate value property on an interval I and k is a constant, it can be proven that kf also has the intermediate value property. This is done by showing that for any two numbers a and b and any number v between kf(a) and kf(b), there exists a c such that kf(c) = v. This holds for all values of k, whether positive, negative, or zero.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Suppose f has the intermediate value property on an interval I and let k be a constant. Prove that kf has the intermediate value property.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f has IVP on I, then there is distinct a and b in I and f(c)=v exists and is between f(a) and f(b).

Let k be a constant real number.

Then kf(a), kf(b) and kf(c) are all real numbers where kf(c) is between kf(a) and kf(b) by properties of real numbers.

So then kf has IVP on I?

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f has the intermediate value property on an interval I and let k be a constant. Prove that kf has the intermediate value property.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f has IVP on I, then there is distinct a and b in I and f(c)=v exists and is between f(a) and f(b).
No, that is not the intermediate vaue theorem. Rather, for any a and b, if v is any number between f(a) and f(b), then there exists c, between a and b, such that f(c)= b.
Let k be a constant real number.

Then kf(a), kf(b) and kf(c) are all real numbers where kf(c) is between kf(a) and kf(b) by properties of real numbers.

So then kf has IVP on I?
You are "going the wrong way", assuming from the beginning that your number is of the form kf(x). That is, basically, what you want to prove.

Let a and b be any two numbers and v be a number between kf(a) and kf(b). Then, if k> 0, v/k lies between f(a) and f(b) so, because f has the intermediate value property, there exist c such that f(c)= v/k. Then kf(c)= k(v/k)= v and we are done.

You do the cases (a) k< 0 and (b) k= 0.

1. What is the IVP in this context?

The IVP, or initial value problem, refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions at a particular starting point.

2. How is the IVP related to the function f and kf?

The IVP is related to the function f and kf because it is used to determine the existence and uniqueness of a solution for the functions. If f has the IVP, it means that there is a unique solution for f that satisfies the given conditions. Proving that kf also has the IVP ensures that there is a unique solution for kf as well.

3. What does it mean for a function to have the IVP?

A function having the IVP means that the function satisfies a set of conditions at a specific starting point. These conditions include the value of the function at the starting point, as well as the slope or rate of change of the function at that point.

4. Can you give an example of a function that has the IVP and how to prove that kf also has the IVP?

One example of a function that has the IVP is f(x) = x + 1, with the starting point at x = 0. To prove that kf also has the IVP, we can show that kf(x) = kx + k also satisfies the conditions at the starting point. This can be done by plugging in the starting point value of 0 for x, and showing that kf(0) = k(0) + k = k = the initial value of f at x = 0. We can also show that the rate of change of kf at x = 0 is equal to the rate of change of f at x = 0, which is k.

5. Why is it important to prove that kf has the IVP if f already has the IVP?

Proving that kf has the IVP is important because it ensures that there is a unique solution for kf, just like there is for f. This is important in applications of mathematics and science, as it allows us to confidently use the functions in various calculations and predictions.