If f is integrable over E iff |f| is integrable over E.

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
In summary, integrability is the ability to calculate the definite integral of a function over a given interval. It differs from absolute integrability in that the latter requires the absolute value of the function to be integrable. This relationship is significant in mathematics, particularly in calculus, as it allows for simplification and proof of integrability. An example of a function that is integrable but not absolutely integrable is f(x) = sin(x)/x over the interval [-1,1].
futurebird

Homework Statement

Royden Chapter 4, Problem 10a

Show that if f is integrable over E then so is |f| and [tex]\left|\int_E f \right| \leq \int |f|[/tex].
Does the integrability of |f| => the integrability of f?

Homework Equations

[tex]f^+ = max\{f, 0\}[/tex]
[tex]f^- = max\{-f, 0\}[/tex]

[tex]|f| = f^+ + f^-[/tex]

A function is integrable if [tex]\int f < \infty[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have [tex]\left|\int_E f \right| \leq \int |f|[/tex]

[tex]\left|\int_E f\right| = \left| \int_E f^+ - \int_E f^- \right| \leq \left| \int_E f^+ \right| + \left| \int_E f^- \right| = \int_E |f|[/tex].

Next I want to show that if f is integrable over E then so is |f|.

[tex]\int_E f < \infty [/tex]

[tex]\int_E f^+ - \int_E f^- < \infty [/tex]

f+ and f- are finite because the expression a-b is only finite if both a and b are finite.

[tex]\int_E f^+ < \infty [/tex]
[tex]\int_E f^- < \infty [/tex]

Hence:

[tex]\int_E |f| = \int_E f^+ + \int_E f^- < \infty [/tex].

Does the integrability of |f| => the integrability of f?

I would say yes for similar reasons. I don't feel very confident about my answers here. Is the reasoning correct?

Also part b says that the improper Riemann integral (a limit) may exists for a function when the Legesgue integral fails to exists. and gives (sin x)/x as an example. Is the problem with (sin x)/x that f+ and f- are not finite??

Physics news on Phys.org
To see that |f| is integrable => f is integrable, think about the inequality you proved.

The proof of the inequality

[tex]
\left|\int_E f \right| \leq \int |f|
[/tex]

is correct if you assume that f is integrable.

f+ and f- are finite because the expression a-b is only finite if both a and b are finite.

And what if both are infinite? Does this contradict the hypothesis that f is integrable?

By the way, a function is Lebesgue integrable iff is absolutely Lebesgue integrable (that is f is integrable iff |f| also is).

The reason regarding the existence of improper Riemann integrals is pretty much what you said, but note that the how problem ties with your quoted statement above.

JSuarez said:
The proof of the inequality

[tex]
\left|\int_E f \right| \leq \int |f|
[/tex]

is correct if you assume that f is integrable.

And that was given, so it's just very simple.

JSuarez said:
And what if both are infinite? Does this contradict the hypothesis that f is integrable?

Yes.

So you have it.

But I don't get it. Graphically that is. The integral on R of higher dimensions is analogue to summation of R. Now if f = sinx /x the summation (if x belongs to N) is finite but |sinx/x| is not finite. Doesn't the same apply for the integral? Let x belong to R of higher dimensions. Wouldn't the same happen? Because I have never seen what you said. I have seen and tried to prove what you are asking but never what you said.

Sorry, you have to more clear. I don't understand your reply.

1. How do you define integrability?

Integrability is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability to calculate the definite integral of a function over a given interval. A function is considered integrable if its integral exists and can be calculated using a specific method, such as the Riemann integral.

2. What is the difference between integrability and absolute integrability?

The difference between integrability and absolute integrability lies in the type of function being considered. A function is considered integrable if its integral exists, while a function is considered absolutely integrable if the absolute value of the function is integrable. Essentially, absolute integrability is a stricter condition for integrability.

3. How is integrability related to the absolute value of a function?

The statement "If f is integrable over E iff |f| is integrable over E" means that the integrability of a function f over a set E is equivalent to the integrability of the absolute value of f over the same set E. This means that if one function is integrable, then the other must also be integrable.

4. What is the significance of this statement in mathematics?

This statement has significant implications in mathematics, specifically in the field of calculus. It allows for the simplification of certain integrals by considering the absolute value of a function instead. It also helps in proving the integrability of certain functions by reducing it to the integrability of the absolute value of the function.

5. Can you provide an example of a function that is integrable but not absolutely integrable?

Yes, a classic example is the function f(x) = sin(x)/x over the interval [-1,1]. This function is integrable, but its absolute value |f(x)| = |sin(x)/x| is not integrable over the same interval. This shows that integrability and absolute integrability are not always equivalent.