1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If in Ring, evaluate (a+b)(c+d)

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a,b,c,d [tex]\in[/tex] R, evaluate (a+b)(c+d). (R is a ring.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that it's simple foiling, but I'm not sure.
    ac+ad+bc+bd

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    Why would you suspect this not to be true?

If you're in doubt re-check the defintion of a ring.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    I doubt it simply because I'm in a 4000 level Math course. It can't be this easy an answer.

5. Apr 1, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What else could it be?

6. Apr 1, 2008 #5
    Well, if there's no more information about a,b,c,d than I don't know what else you could do :smile:

7. Apr 2, 2008 #6
    Okay, so I'm going to guess that everyone agrees with me that this is right? It just seems too easy! Oh well, I'll accept it and move on. :-D

8. Apr 2, 2008 #7
    Treat (a+d) as one element and use the distributive property of rings. Then use it again. Make sure you keep the ordering if you're not dealing with a commutative ring.

9. Apr 2, 2008 #8
    Okay, that makes sense, PingPong! So, technically, the order is different.

(a+b)(c+d)
    => (a+b)c+(a+b)d
    => ac+bc+ad+bd

10. Apr 2, 2008 #9
    Right, but remember that in a ring, addition is commutative, so your order doesn't matter. What I said about ordering was meant to be applied to multiplication (unless you're dealing with a commutative ring). So what you had at the beginning was correct, but now you see why!

EDIT: Actually as a side note, commutativity of addition in a ring is an unneeded axiom, because it follows from the distributive property. If you treat (c+d) as one element, the distributivity property gives (a+b)(c+d)=a(c+d)+b(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd. This means that ac+bc+ad+bd (your method) is equivalent to ac+ad+bc+bd, or ad+bc=bc+ad. Thus addition is commutative.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?