If Integral with Sine Limits What is Second Derivative?

In summary, we used the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the first derivative of g(y), which is equal to f(y). Then, we used the same theorem again to find the second derivative of g(y), which is equal to the first derivative of f(y). By plugging in the given value of pi/6 for y, we can find the exact numerical value of the second derivative of g(y).
Gwozdzilla

Homework Statement

If f(x) = ∫sin x0 √(1+t2)dt and g(y) = ∫3y f(x)dx, find g''(pi/6)?

Homework Equations

FTC: F(x) = ∫f(x)dx
ab f(t)dt = F(b) - F(a)

Chain Rule:
f(x) = g(h(x))
f'(x) = g'(h(x))h'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried u-substition setting u = tan(x) for the first dirivative with the limits of sine, and it got really weird and bad. I also tried trigonometric substition and I got a similar bad and ugly answer.

g'(y) = f(x) = ∫0sin x √(1+t2)dt

How do I take the second derivative of g(y)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gwozdzilla said:
g'(y) = f(x)
That doesn't really make any sense. In the definition of g, x is a 'dummy' variable. It doesn't exist outside of the integral. Have another go.

Apply the fundamental theorem to ##g(y)##:

$$g'(y) = \frac{d}{dy} \int_3^y f(x) dx$$

If g = ∫f(x), why isn't g' = f(x)? Is the second derivative of g not equal to the first derivative of f? If it doesn't, then I guess I have no clue where to start. Do I need to integrate √(1+t^2)dt?

Zondrina said:
Apply the fundamental theorem to ##g(y)##:

$$g'(y) = \frac{d}{dy} \int_3^y f(x) dx$$

Maybe I don't understand how to apply FTC..

g'(y) = f(y) - f(3) ?

If that's true then I still don't know where to go from here...

Gwozdzilla said:
Maybe I don't understand how to apply FTC..

g'(y) = f(y) - f(3) ?

If that's true then I still don't know where to go from here...

You are forgetting the chain rule:

$$g'(y) = \frac{d}{dy} \int_3^y f(x) dx = f(y) \frac{d}{dy} [y] - f(3) \frac{d}{dy} [3] = f(y)$$

What is ##f(y)##? Take the second derivative of ##g(y)## now.

Zondrina said:
You are forgetting the chain rule:

$$g'(y) = \frac{d}{dy} \int_3^y f(x) dx = f(y) \frac{d}{dy} [y] - f(3) \frac{d}{dy} [3] = f(y)$$

What is ##f(y)##? Take the second derivative of ##g(y)## now.

Why do I need to use the chain rule? Are y and 3 functions? How can you tell when you need to use the cahin rule?

Besides, if y is the variable, then isn't d/dy y just equal to 1 and d/dy 3 = 0? Does that make g'(y) = f(y)? Am I going in completely the wrong direction here?

Gwozdzilla said:
Why do I need to use the chain rule? Are y and 3 functions? How can you tell when you need to use the cahin rule?

Besides, if y is the variable, then isn't d/dy y just equal to 1 and d/dy 3 = 0? Does that make g'(y) = f(y)? Am I going in completely the wrong direction here?

The fundamental theorem stated in a general form is:

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = f(b(x))b'(x) - f(a(x))a'(x)$$

Quick proof:

$$\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = F(t) |_{a(x)}^{b(x)} = F(b(x)) - F(a(x))$$

Where ##F(t)## is an anti derivative of ##f(t)##. Taking the derivative of the expression:

$$\frac{d}{dx} F(b(x)) - F(a(x)) = f(b(x)) b'(x) - f(a(x)) a'(x)$$

Where ##f(t)## is the derivative of ##F(t)## and we have applied the chain rule to the composition of the functions.

We applied this theorem just now to take the first derivative with respect to ##y## of ##g(y)##. You find this is equal to ##f(y)##. Write out what ##f(y)## is and then take the second derivative.

Okay, I think I follow most of the way now... I understand how FTC works now.

I guess now I'm just confused about how and what to take the second derivative of:

Do I need to write ∫sin x0 √(1+t2)dt in terms of y or is there something more I can do with g'(y) by doing the chain rule again somehow?

Gwozdzilla said:
Okay, I think I follow most of the way now... I understand how FTC works now.

I guess now I'm just confused about how and what to take the second derivative of:

Do I need to write ∫sin x0 √(1+t2)dt in terms of y or is there something more I can do with g'(y) by doing the chain rule again somehow?

Yes, you literally want to plug in ##y## for ##x## in ##f(x)##. This will change the limits on the integral, namely you now have a ##\sin(y)##. Then you need to take the derivative again to get ##g''(y)##.

Gwozdzilla said:
If g = ∫f(x), why isn't g' = f(x)?
Think about what differentiation means. g'(y) means you make a small change in y and observe the consequent change in g(y). Think of the integral as a sum. If you increase the upper limit slightly on ∫yf(x), making it ∫y+dyf(x), how much does the 'sum' increase by?

Zondrina said:
Yes, you literally want to plug in ##y## for ##x## in ##f(x)##. This will change the limits on the integral, namely you now have a ##\sin(y)##. Then you need to take the derivative again to get ##g''(y)##.

Okay, let me try!

g'(y) = f(y) = ∫sin(y)0 sqrt(1+t2)dt

g''(y) = f'(y)

Do I do this one with FTC as well or should I do a u-subs with x = tan(u)?

If I try it with FTC...

f'(y) = √(1+sin2y) d/dy sin(y) - √(1 + 02) d/dy (0)

f'(y) = √(1+sin2y) cos(y) = g''(y)

g''(pi/6) = √(5/4)((√3)/2)

Is that right?

Gwozdzilla said:
Okay, let me try!

g'(y) = f(y) = ∫sin(y)0 sqrt(1+t2)dt

g''(y) = f'(y)

Do I do this one with FTC as well or should I do a u-subs with x = tan(u)?

If I try it with FTC...

f'(y) = √(1+sin2y) d/dy sin(y) - √(1 + 02) d/dy (0)

f'(y) = √(1+sin2y) cos(y) = g''(y)

g''(pi/6) = √(5/4)((√3)/2)

Is that right?

Everything looks good, it seems you can apply the theorem now.

You should spend some time asking yourself what the implications of this theorem are. Try to get a geometric grasp to aid in visualizing.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for all of your help! I will see what I can do to figure out the implications and to better visualize it.

Gwozdzilla said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) = ∫sin x0 √(1+t2)dt and g(y) = ∫3y f(x)dx, find g''(pi/6)?

Homework Equations

FTC: F(x) = ∫f(x)dx
ab f(t)dt = F(b) - F(a)

Chain Rule:
f(x) = g(h(x))
f'(x) = g'(h(x))h'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried u-substition setting u = tan(x) for the first dirivative with the limits of sine, and it got really weird and bad. I also tried trigonometric substition and I got a similar bad and ugly answer.

g'(y) = f(x) = ∫0sin x √(1+t2)dt

How do I take the second derivative of g(y)?

You wrote something that makes no sense: you should have ##g'(y) = f(y)##, not ##f(x)##. You cannot have unrelated ##x## and ##y## on opposite sides of the same equation!

1. What is an integral with sine limits?

An integral with sine limits is a type of integral that involves the sine function in its limits of integration. This means that the upper and lower limits of the integral will be expressed in terms of the sine function.

2. How is the second derivative calculated for an integral with sine limits?

The second derivative for an integral with sine limits can be calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This involves taking the first derivative of the integral function, which will result in the integrand being multiplied by the derivative of the upper limit. Then, the second derivative can be obtained by taking the derivative of this result.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in an integral with sine limits?

The second derivative in an integral with sine limits represents the rate of change of the first derivative. This can provide insight into the behavior of the integral function and can be used to analyze its concavity and inflection points.

4. Can the second derivative of an integral with sine limits be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of an integral with sine limits can be negative. This indicates that the first derivative is decreasing, which means that the integral function is concave down.

5. Are there any practical applications of integrals with sine limits and their second derivatives?

Yes, integrals with sine limits and their second derivatives have various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as oscillatory motion and periodic functions.