If M is a martingal, prove |M| is submartingale

• Thread starter operationsres
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that |M| is a submartingale if M is a martingale. The definition of a submartingale is given and the attempted proof is shown, using the indicator function and properties of submartingales. The expert confirms that the proof is correct.
operationsres

Homework Statement

If M is a martingale, prove that |M| is a submartingale.

Let F be the filtration.

The definition of a submartingale is that [itex]E[M_t | F_s] \geq M_s[/itex]

My question: Is my "proof" correct?

2. The attempt at a solution

Let I be the indicator function.

[itex]E[|M_t||F_s] = E[I_{\{M_t \geq 0\}}M_t | F_s] - E[I_{\{M_t < 0\}}M_t | F_s][/itex]

[itex] \geq E[I_{\{M_t \geq 0\}}M_t | F_s] + E[I_{\{M_t < 0\}}M_t | F_s][/itex]

[itex] = E[M_t | F_s] = M_s[/itex]

Therefore [itex]|M_t|[/itex] is a submartingale.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your proof is correct. You have correctly used the definition of a submartingale and the properties of the indicator function to show that E[|M_t||F_s] \geq M_s. This proves that |M_t| is a submartingale. Well done!

FAQ: If M is a martingal, prove |M| is submartingale

1. What is a martingale?

A martingale is a type of stochastic process in probability theory. It is a sequence of random variables that satisfies a specific condition known as the martingale property, which states that the expected value of the next value in the sequence is equal to the current value. In other words, a martingale is a fair game where the expected value of future outcomes is always the same as the current value.

2. What is a submartingale?

A submartingale is a type of stochastic process that satisfies a weaker version of the martingale property. Instead of the expected value of future outcomes being equal to the current value, a submartingale only requires that the expected value is greater than or equal to the current value. This means that the process is expected to increase over time.

3. How is |M| defined in this context?

In this context, |M| refers to the absolute value of the martingale M. This means that all negative values in the sequence are changed to positive values, while positive values remain unchanged. This is commonly used in probability and finance to represent the magnitude or size of a value without regard to its sign.

4. Why is it important to prove that |M| is a submartingale?

Proving that |M| is a submartingale is important because it allows us to make predictions about the expected behavior of the underlying process. This is useful in various fields such as finance, where submartingales are often used to model the stock market, and in engineering, where they can be used to predict the reliability of a system.

5. What is the proof for |M| being a submartingale if M is a martingale?

The proof for |M| being a submartingale if M is a martingale involves using the definition of a submartingale to show that the expected value of future outcomes is greater than or equal to the current value. This can be done by breaking down the absolute value function and using the properties of expectation. The proof is a standard exercise in probability theory and can be found in many textbooks and online resources.