If the strength of gravity levels off, could black holes be unphysical?

In summary: Currently, the evidence seems to be that these massive objects do not actually collapse into black holes, but instead remain extremely luminous.
ensabah6
In GR, the strength of gravity goes to infinity at singularities.

But what if in nature, gravity increases up to a certain cut-off, and does not continue to increase. If the cut-off is sufficiently low, could it be gravity is not strong enough to overcome pauli exclusion principle, and therefore, a neutron star or something similar cannot form black holes?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you are going with this. Your question seems to be "if gravity were weaker, would it act weaker?".

I think he's asking if there's an upper limit to how strong gravity can be. If that's the case then the answer is no.

Flatland said:
I think he's asking if there's an upper limit to how strong gravity can be. If that's the case then the answer is no.

yes I'm wondering if there is an upper limit on strength of gravity.
no as in no black holes? Perhaps a new state of matter results beyond neutron stars.

ensabah6 said:
yes I'm wondering if there is an upper limit on strength of gravity.
no as in no black holes? Perhaps a new state of matter results beyond neutron stars.

Within the geometrical approach of General Relativity, this is a bit like asking whether there is a maximum value to the tangent of an angle - there obviously isn't!

I personally think black holes probably don't exist. I find it much easier to believe that General Relativity isn't quite right in that sort of extreme case than to believe in the weird physics claimed for black holes, especially given various unsatisfactory theoretical aspects of GR (such incompatibility with QM and Mach's principle and a failure to provide a practical model for overall conservation of energy) and the fact that it fails to explain the universe on a galactic or cosmological scale unless supplemented by dark matter and dark energy. There are also some experimental results which are difficult to explain within GR without bending existing theory to its limits (such as apparent intense intrinsic magnetic fields around quasars and relativistic jets).

It's even been suggested that GR itself doesn't necessarily lead to black holes without additional assumptions about constants of integration and/or boundary conditions first made by Hilbert (and it's certainly true that Schwarzschild's paper describing his original solution made different assumptions). I've not been totally convinced by arguments on either side here, which appear to amount to "my assumption makes more sense than yours" rather than any sort of proof, but perhaps experimental results will eventually prove it one way or the other.

In the mean time, I keep seeing references to "massive black holes" being found by astronomers. This is very irritating. What they are actually finding is usually supermassive objects which are extremely luminous in at least some part of the spectrum - about as far from black as one could get! According to the usual (Hilbert) interpretation of GR, these are theoretically expected to have undergone gravitational collapse, but I've not heard of any direct evidence that this has in fact happened. In the case of stellar-mass black hole candidates, there are certain types of X-ray emission from the surfaces of dense stars which are absent in certain cases, and this could perhaps be due to there being no surface, due to gravitational collapse, but there are plenty of other possibilities too.

I was thinking along QCD where shorter distances, the strong force gets weaker. Also, there may be conflicts between QM and GR that black holes are an unphysical extrapolation.

Jonathan Scott said:
I personally think black holes probably don't exist.

... there are plenty of other possibilities...

(Forgive me if my paraphrasing leads to an incorrect interpretation of your post.)

What other possibilities? Do you have some ideas about what scientists are seeing when they look for example at Cygnus X-1?

The possibilites would have to be backed up by plausible models.

1. What does it mean for the strength of gravity to level off?

The strength of gravity refers to the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass. When we say it "levels off", it means that the force of gravity no longer increases as the distance between the two objects decreases.

2. How could black holes be affected by a leveling off of gravity?

If the strength of gravity levels off, it would mean that the force of gravity at a certain distance from a black hole would no longer increase. This could potentially affect the formation and behavior of black holes.

3. Could black holes still exist if the strength of gravity levels off?

Yes, black holes could still exist even if the strength of gravity levels off. This is because black holes are formed when the force of gravity becomes so strong that it overcomes all other forces, including the force of gravity itself. As long as the force of gravity is strong enough to create this imbalance, black holes can still form.

4. Would the event horizon of a black hole be affected by a leveling off of gravity?

The event horizon of a black hole is the point of no return, where the force of gravity is so strong that not even light can escape. If the strength of gravity levels off, it would not affect the event horizon as it is determined by the mass of the black hole, not the strength of gravity.

5. How could a leveling off of gravity impact current theories about black holes?

A leveling off of gravity could potentially challenge our current understanding of black holes and their behavior. It could also lead to the development of new theories and models to explain the formation and behavior of black holes in this scenario. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the implications of a leveling off of gravity on our current theories.