If time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt, will it still be valid

• Thread starter totoykabute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the equation Q=VxIxt can still be valid as an equation of energy even if time is removed from it. This equation is useful for estimating the heat transfer coefficient of a nichrome wire heated using direct current. However, some may find it complicated to use when time is included in the equation. It is worth noting that the equation Q=It, where Q represents heat and I represents current, may be more suitable for this purpose.
totoykabute
if time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt, will it still be valid to be an equation of energy?
i need that equation to estimate the heat transfer coefficient of a nichrome wire heated using direct current,but putting time to the equation makes everything complicated..

(i'd read someone's post here that use the same equation but does not put time.. too bad i can't find that post again..)

Engineering news on Phys.org

VI = power

VIt = energy

Which one do you want?

totoykabute said:
if time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt, will it still be valid to be an equation of energy?
i need that equation to estimate the heat transfer coefficient of a nichrome wire heated using direct current,but putting time to the equation makes everything complicated..

(i'd read someone's post here that use the same equation but does not put time.. too bad i can't find that post again..)

Did you check on the dimensions of that 'equation'?

afaik, Q = It
where does V come into it?

sophiecentaur said:
Did you check on the dimensions of that 'equation'?

afaik, Q = It
where does V come into it?

It could be that Q means "heat" here, rather than electric charge. That is sort of what I assumed from the context.

OH yes. Makes sense. (I have just removed my blinkers!)

Related to If time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt, will it still be valid

1. What is the equation Q=VxIxt and how does it relate to time?

The equation Q=VxIxt is known as the power equation in physics. It represents the relationship between power (Q), voltage (V), current (I), and time (t). Time is included in the equation because power is the rate of energy transfer over time.

2. How does time affect the validity of the equation Q=VxIxt?

Time is a crucial factor in the validity of the equation Q=VxIxt. The equation is only valid when all four variables are present, including time. This is because power is a measure of energy transfer over time, so time is necessary to calculate the power accurately.

3. Can the equation Q=VxIxt be used without considering time?

No, the equation Q=VxIxt cannot be used without considering time. As stated before, time is a crucial factor in the validity of this equation. Without time, the equation would not accurately represent the relationship between power, voltage, and current.

4. What would happen if time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt?

If time is removed from the equation Q=VxIxt, the equation would no longer be valid. This is because power is a measure of energy transfer over time, so without time, the equation would not accurately represent the relationship between power, voltage, and current.

5. Are there any situations where the equation Q=VxIxt can be used without considering time?

No, there are no situations where the equation Q=VxIxt can be used without considering time. Time is always a necessary component in this equation and cannot be omitted. If time is not a factor in a given situation, the equation can still be used, but time would be considered as 1, making it insignificant in the calculation.