If you could have dinner with anyone

• Thread starter FrancisZ
  • Start date
He was a brilliant writer and thinker who unfortunately took his own life. I would love to have a conversation with him about his writing process and his thoughts on life.In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of who the participants would choose to have dinner with, if given the chance to dine with anyone living or dead. Many interesting choices were suggested, ranging from historical figures like Socrates and Leonardo DaVinci, to famous musicians like Deborah Harry and Jaco Pastorius. Some chose people who have influenced them, such as Doris Kearns Goodwin and Richard Feynman, while others opted for more unconventional choices like Mr. Snuffleupagus or a clone of themselves. Overall, the participants were excited about the prospect
FrancisZ
If you could have dinner with anyone now living, or dead (no, no zombies now); who would it be and why?

I'll go first...

Doris Kearns Goodwin--History Professor; and because she knows a lot about Roosevelts, and made me admire them growing up.

Deborah Harry--because she was adopted, punk, and is beautiful even at 63.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bill Gates - He would pay whatever I eat :biggrin:

Karen Carpenter

Jesus.

Uh, too many to name...

My wife. We never order the same thing so we can sample from each other's plate.

I don't care who I have dinner with, what's important is who is doing the cooking! :biggrin:

FrancisZ said:
If you could have dinner with anyone now living, or dead (no, no zombies now); who would it be and why?

One that comes to mind is Socrates. I was corrupted by him as a young person and would like to thank him.

All the people who did not eat enough today.

I have no idea why I just said that :uhh:

Probably Richard Simmons right after he's done sweatin it to the oldies.

Edit: Richard Simmons while he is sweatin it to the oldies.

Lucifer...just for the lulz

humanino said:

So would I. Well, perhaps not all of them simultaneously, better one by one...

*thinks hard*

I guess I´'ll start with Lindsay Lohan :tongue2:

http://www.people.com/people/lindsay_lohan/photos/0,,20006693_20496407,00.html

It would have to be that girl that does the dictionary on countdown (quiz show in UK), Sue Dent?

Leonardo DaVinci

I have always been in awe of him.

Likes gracy
humanino said:

I have no idea why I just said that :uhh:

It's in your name: a real humanitarian. Good for you!

Moonbear said:
I don't care who I have dinner with, what's important is who is doing the cooking! :biggrin:

:rofl:
And more important than that:what's the dinner?

It would have to be Axle Rose, Guns-n-Roses. Can you imagine what a great party dinner that would be? GNR is my favorite band!

Homer Hickam

Someone from another planet - as long as I wasn't on the menu. :wink:

tribdog said:
Karen Carpenter

lol, so you could watch her pick at her salad and sip water?

i think i would like to dine with Temujin.

Mr. Snuffleupagus. He seems like he would be very easy to please and get along with at a dinner table. Especially since I'm dying to ask him just what the hell he is.

Dead:
Nikola Tesla or Mark Twain

Living:
Alton Brown

A clone version of myself

Richard Feynman

Maybe Ambrose Bierce...

Jaco Pastorius

Because he was the best of the best bass player ever. He could make his bass sing better than people can with their voice.

Mine would have to definitely be Richard Feynman. I see him speak so enthusiastically when talking about physics and it is truly inspiring. Also what a funny guy, he seems to have been a real practical joker as well. It would have been great to grow up with him as a father or grandfather.

Evo said:
Leonardo DaVinci

I have always been in awe of him.

make it three settings...

(four if Leo brought his--uhmm--'date')

I was going to say anyone who would be willing to pay for the dinner :), but I noticed I had said the same thing about a year ago.

My wife. I've been sitting in this restaurant for half an hour waiting for her to show up. Where is she?

Probably Richard Feynman. He's been one of my biggest external inspirations to become a physics major. It's funny though, I wouldn't like to talk about physics with him at this dinner, I would just like to talk.

Cyrus :rofl:

Seriously Ghandi

David Foster Wallace.

1. Who would you choose to have dinner with?

I would choose to have dinner with Albert Einstein. He was not only a brilliant scientist, but also a fascinating and eccentric individual.

2. Why would you choose that person?

I am intrigued by Einstein's theories and his impact on modern physics. I would love to have the opportunity to discuss his ideas and gain insight into his thought process.

3. What would you ask them during the dinner?

I would ask him about his theory of general relativity and how he came up with the famous equation E=mc^2. I would also be curious to hear about his personal life and experiences.

4. How do you think having dinner with this person would benefit you?

Having dinner with Einstein would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from one of the greatest minds in history. I believe it would broaden my perspective and inspire me in my own scientific pursuits.

5. Would you rather have dinner with this person in the past or present?

I would prefer to have dinner with Einstein in the past, during the peak of his career and influence. It would be amazing to witness his brilliance firsthand and be a part of the scientific community during that time.