IIT JEE problem (capacitors)

• Thread starter 2nafish117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary: V.In summary, the homework statement is that the velocity of charged balls is proportional to the potential difference between two charged plates.
2nafish117

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-6_9-27-53.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
the first question is easy,it is (C) because these charged balls are repelled from the similarly charged plates and accelerate towards the negatively charged plate,and once thy stick to the second plate they transfer double the charge they initially had (to the plate) and become oppositely charged.
the same thing happens again and again in a periodic way(which is in no way simple harmonic).
this discrete charge transfer at particular instants of time causes a current to flow(discrete current).

2)
the second one i got wrong,i do not know why.
i assumed that the average current is proportional to the velocity of the balls,i can relate the velocities to the potential applied as follows
(velocity)^2 proportional to (potential diff)
this is directly from the work energy theorem
now (velocity) proportional to (potential diff)^1/2
from this and the previous assumption we see that (avg current) proportional to (potential diff)^1/2
and so the correct answer is (C) but in their answer keys it is given the answer is (D) (ie proportional to V^2)
i don't see how this can be.

Physics news on Phys.org
2nafish117 said:
relate the velocities to the potential applied as follows
(velocity)^2 proportional to (potential diff)
this is directly from the work energy theorem
Can you explain in detail this part.

NascentOxygen said:
hello nascent oxygen
it follows from the work energy theorem
KE=1/2mv^2=work done on the ball
but the work done on the ball=potential through which it is accelerated*charge on ball
so 1/2mv^2=qV
here V= potential
v= velocity
we see v^2 proportional to V

NascentOxygen said:
hello nascent oxygen
it follows from the work energy theorem
KE=1/2mv^2=work done on the ball
but the work done on the ball=potential through which it is accelerated*charge on ball
so 1/2mv^2=qV
here V= potential
v= velocity
we see v^2 proportional to V

That's the final velocity.

Then there's q. The final velocity also involves q.

NascentOxygen said:

yes but q is a constant.
or does it also depend on V
oh wait it does, as you increase V charge on the balls also increases.
but how do i know the relation between them?

You're looking for the relation between a sphere's potential and the charge it carries. Try google

As each conductive sphere contacts a plate it will take on the potential of that plate.

NascentOxygen said:

how do you know that the sphere attains the same potential as the plate, it might fly off to the other plate well before it gets charged to the same potential.

ok assuming that it does get charged to same potential then V(potential of sphere) = k*(charge on sphere)/(radius of sphere) .
because all charge resides on the surface(metal sphere).
now (charge on sphere) proportional to (potential diff between plates)
so (v^2) proportional to (V^2) . (because of the product qV,and q being proportional to V)
this means v proportional to V.
but the given answer is according to the key is (D).

just so you know the answer key given to us isn't final and is subject to change.
but I am pretty sure the answer keys are right

2nafish117 said:
but the given answer is according to the key is (D).
Okay so far, but the question doesn't ask how speed of the balls is related to voltage.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
The question doesn't ask how speed of the balls is related to voltage.
but i have assumed that the current is proportional to the average velocity of the spheres.

i think i made a mistake ,the velocities i considered weren't the average they were the final velocities.
the average velocity will be the (distance bw plates)/(time taken to go that distance)
since the field is constant in parallel plate capacitor, the acceleration is also constant.
so v avg =1/2*(Eq/m)t (using the constant accleleration kinematics equation s= ut+1/2*at^2 and dividing with t to get s/t)

here t is time taken to go from one plate to the other.

now E is proportional to V,and q is proportional to V(assuming that the spheres are charged completely to the plates potential)
so v avg is proportional to V^2.
i think this is right

2nafish117 said:
so v avg =1/2*(Eq/m)t

now E is proportional to V,and q is proportional to V(assuming that the spheres are charged completely to the plates potential)
so v avg is proportional to V^2.
What about the factor of t in vavg =1/2*(Eq/m)t? Does t depend on V?

2nafish117 said:
now (charge on sphere) proportional to (potential diff between plates)
so (v^2) proportional to (V^2) . (because of the product qV,and q being proportional to V)
OK.
2nafish117 said:
but i have assumed that the current is proportional to the average velocity of the spheres.
Yes, but what else is the current proportional to?

2nafish117 said:
i think i made a mistake ,the velocities i considered weren't the average they were the final velocities.
the average velocity will be the (distance bw plates)/(time taken to go that distance)
In motion with constant acceleration, how is vav related to vf?

Hey everyone, I am thinking something completely different and it is quite possible that I am wrong, so forgive me if I turn out to be wrong. The way I am thinking this problem to be is that, since it is given that balls attain same potential as the plate (as they had a metal film), so from potential I got charge on each spherical shell (note that they have metal film for a reason, so we can't say that they are spheres whenever we use potential or anything like that). Exact equation does not matter as what is asked is proportionality, so charge is directly proportional to V. Now instead of thinking how to calculate proportionality between velocity and potential, I took a different route. I used analogy between (more like my brain did it on its own and I realized what I did later) current and velocity and charge and displacement/distance (to be used as situation presents). Average speed = Total distance travelled/ total time taken, similarly I used average current = total charge passed/ total time taken. We got numerator already (no we don't need no. of balls, proportionality remember!), denominator can be calculated by using F= ma = Eq, where E is electric field inside the capacitor and m is mass of ball (don't worry about it... proportionality!). Use this to find acceleration to find time taken by using h=(1/2)*at^2.

Again don't bother with multiple times the ball passes up and down, you will just have to multiply numerator and denominator with same variable to take it into account. With this process I got avg current proportional to V^2

Umrao said:
Hey everyone, I am thinking something completely different and it is quite possible that I am wrong, so forgive me if I turn out to be wrong. The way I am thinking this problem to be is that, since it is given that balls attain same potential as the plate (as they had a metal film), so from potential I got charge on each spherical shell (note that they have metal film for a reason, so we can't say that they are spheres whenever we use potential or anything like that). Exact equation does not matter as what is asked is proportionality, so charge is directly proportional to V. Now instead of thinking how to calculate proportionality between velocity and potential, I took a different route. I used analogy between (more like my brain did it on its own and I realized what I did later) current and velocity and charge and displacement/distance (to be used as situation presents). Average speed = Total distance travelled/ total time taken, similarly I used average current = total charge passed/ total time taken. We got numerator already (no we don't need no. of balls, proportionality remember!), denominator can be calculated by using F= ma = Eq, where E is electric field inside the capacitor and m is mass of ball (don't worry about it... proportionality!). Use this to find acceleration to find time taken by using h=(1/2)*at^2.

Again don't bother with multiple times the ball passes up and down, you will just have to multiply numerator and denominator with same variable to take it into account. With this process I got avg current proportional to V^2
to clarify q proportional to V
and is it that t proportionat to 1/V?
from h = 1/2*(Eq/m)t^2

NascentOxygen said:
i used integration(to find averages)
and found that
v avg =v initial +1/2*a*(t initial +t final)
or else a = 2*(v avg - v inital)/(t initial +t final)

NascentOxygen said:
since the initial velocity is zero and acceleration uniform v avg =v final/2
they are directly proportional!

TSny said:
What about the factor of t in vavg =1/2*(Eq/m)t? Does t depend on V?OK.

Yes, but what else is the current proportional to?

intuition says t depends on V.
and the current is also proportional to the charge on the spheres

let me try answering this question again
the (average current) proportional to (average velocity)(charge that each carry) {the average velocity has a linear relation to the final velocity from post #18}
we knoe that the final kinetic energy is equal to the work done on the spheres by the field.
so 1/2mv^2 = Ed = qV
now we also know that q proportional to V ------------------(2)
so v proportional to V ----------------(1)
therefore average current proportional to V^2
im pretty sure this method is right.

Likes NascentOxygen
2nafish117 said:
intuition says t depends on V.
Who relies on intuition when you can use mathematics?! Anyway, you have now shown that average speed isV.
the current is also proportional to the charge on the spheres
Develop this a little further ...

Likes 2nafish117
Umrao said:

your solution takes the fundamental definition of current (i dint think of it)
my solution has the assumption that the average current is proportional to the average velocity.
your solution proves my assumption right!
and to clarify

t proportional to 1/V in your solution right?

NascentOxygen said:
Who relies on intuition when you can use mathematics?! Anyway, you have now shown that average speed is V.

Develop this a little further ...
i solved it just a few minutes back!
my solution is in page 1

2nafish117 said:
your solution takes the fundamental definition of current (i dint think of it)
my solution has the assumption that the average current is proportional to the average velocity.
your solution proves my assumption right!
and to clarify

t proportional to 1/V in your solution right?
Yeah, I did get that

1. How do capacitors work?

Capacitors are electronic components that store and release electrical charge. They consist of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, also known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

2. What is the role of capacitors in electronic circuits?

Capacitors have a variety of uses in electronic circuits. They can be used to smooth out fluctuations in voltage, block direct current while allowing alternating current to pass through, and store and release energy for timing purposes. They are also commonly used in filters, oscillators, and amplifiers.

3. How are capacitors rated?

Capacitors are rated by their capacitance, which is measured in farads (F). However, most capacitors used in electronic circuits have capacitances that are much smaller than 1 farad, so they are often measured in microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF). Capacitors are also rated for their maximum voltage and tolerance, which specifies how much the actual capacitance may vary from the stated value.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by several factors, including the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Generally, the larger the surface area and the smaller the distance between plates, the higher the capacitance. Different dielectric materials also have different capacitance values due to variations in their insulating properties.

5. How do you calculate the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series and parallel?

For capacitors in series, the equivalent capacitance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. For capacitors in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. For example, if three capacitors with values of 10μF, 20μF, and 30μF are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance would be 4.29μF. If the same capacitors were connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance would be 60μF.