Im having trouble with a few preoblems.

• Thread starter thschica
  • Start date
In summary, the kangaroo was in the air for 2.5m, and then it returned to the ground at a speed of 9.8m/s.
thschica
Im having trouble with a few problems.

1.A kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.5 m. How long was it in the air before returning to Earth?
? s ( On this problem I keep getting a negative number.I know that this on is wrong for sure. What equation should I be using?)

3. A helicopter is ascending vertically with a speed of 6.00 m/s. At a height of 170 m above the Earth, a package is dropped from a window. How much time does it take for the package to reach the ground?
?s ( I have tried three equations but I still can figure out exactly which one I should be using)

10. A stone is thrown vertically upward with a speed of 13.0 m/s from the edge of a cliff 72.0 m high
(a) How much later does it reach the bottom of the cliff?
? s
(b) What is its speed just before hitting?
?m/s
(c) What total distance did it travel?
?m
(Once again I am getting negatives!)

25. A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 6.6 s later. If the speed of sound is 340 m/s, how high is the cliff?
? m (This one I am not sure what I am doing wrong)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check the "rules" for this Forum (see "Read this before posting"). We aren't going to do your homework for you. Show us what you have tried or at least what ideas you might have about the problem.

This link should give you all the info you need to start solving the problems.

You have to show your work before asking for help, that's the rule here. :)

I know how to do #10 but #1 is the one I am having the most trouble on.Can someone help me?

thschica said:
1.A kangaroo jumps to a vertical height of 2.5 m. How long was it in the air before returning to Earth?
? s ( On this problem I keep getting a negative number.I know that this on is wrong for sure. What equation should I be using?)
Show what you did to get a negative number.

I said 2.5m(t)+.5(-4.80)t^2

Why did you use -4.80?

thschica said:
I said 2.5m(t)+.5(-4.80)t^2
Were you trying to use this formula?
[itex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + .5 a t^2[/itex]

yes I was.I meant 9.8

OK, so how were you planning to use that formula? If you start at ground level, you'll need to figure out the initial speed. But if you realize that the kangaroo's motion going up is a mirror image of its motion going down, you can apply the formula starting at the top of the motion where the speed is zero. Give it another shot. (Define all your values before "plugging in".)

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This could involve doing puzzles, brain teasers, or even real-world problems. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from your mistakes can also help you improve.

2. What should I do if I'm stuck on a problem?

If you're stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from a colleague or mentor.

3. How do I know which problem-solving technique to use?

The best approach is to try different problem-solving techniques and see which one works best for you. Some common techniques include trial and error, brainstorming, and using a systematic approach.

4. What should I do if I keep making the same mistakes?

If you find yourself making the same mistakes, it's important to reflect on why this is happening. Are you rushing through problems? Are you not fully understanding the concept? Identifying the root cause can help you make necessary adjustments to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

5. How can I stay motivated when facing challenging problems?

One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the end goal and the importance of solving the problem. You can also break the problem down into smaller, achievable goals and celebrate each milestone. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help you stay motivated and focused.