I'm really having a problem integrating this equation, infact i have no idea

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a given function using substitution and complete the square methods. The final solution includes a trig substitution and a correction of a minor mistake.
Anony111

Homework Statement

Please tell me how to integrate this...

Homework Equations

[(2x + 4)][(2x^2 + 3x + 1)^(1/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]2x^2+ 3x+ 1= (2x+1)(x+1)
Complete the square in the square root: [itex]2x^2+ 3x+ 1= 2(x^2+ (3/2)x+ 9/16)+1-9/8= 2(x+ 3/2)^2- 1/8[/itex]. Let u= x+ 3/2, then du= dx and x= u- 3/2 so that 2x+ 4= 2u+ 1 so the function to be integrated becomes [itex](2u+1)(2u^2+ 7/16)^{1/2}= 2\sqrt{2}u(u^2+ 7/32)^{1/2}+ \sqrt{2}(u^2+ 7/32}^{1/2}[/itex]. The first can be integrated by the substitution [itex]v= u^2+ 7/32[/itex] and the second by a trig substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the idea but you have made one mistake; it should be 9/8 instead of 9/16 outside the bracket. Thanks a lot though

What is the best way to approach integrating this equation?

The first step in integrating any equation is to identify the type of integration required, such as definite or indefinite. Then, try to simplify the equation by factoring, using substitution, or applying known integration formulas. If you are still struggling, seek help from a tutor or consult a calculus textbook for more examples and explanations.

What should I do if I get stuck while trying to integrate an equation?

If you get stuck while trying to integrate an equation, take a step back and review the basics of calculus. Make sure you understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of integration. Then, try breaking down the equation into smaller parts and integrating each part separately. If you are still having trouble, seek help from a classmate, a tutor, or your instructor.

Is there a shortcut or trick to integrating difficult equations?

Yes, there are certain integration techniques that can make solving difficult equations easier. Some common techniques include integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fraction decomposition. It is important to familiarize yourself with these techniques and practice using them to solve different types of equations.

How can I check if my integrated equation is correct?

You can check your integrated equation by taking the derivative of the result and seeing if it matches the original equation. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to plot both the original and integrated equations and see if they overlap. If your results do not match, it is important to go back and review your steps to find any mistakes.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating an equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating an equation include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using incorrect integration formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and go through each step carefully to avoid these mistakes. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common integration techniques to avoid making errors.