I'm struggling to compute arc length (multivariable calculus)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arc length of a curve over a given interval using the equation L=sqrt(f'(t)^2+g'(t)^2+...+n'(t)^2) integrated from a to b. The solution involves using integration by substitution, as the factor t is connected to the derivative of t^2+4.
Physics_Is_Fun

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the curve
(t) = (1; 3t2; t3) over the interval 0  t  1.

Homework Equations

L=sqrt(f'(t)^2+g'(t)^2+...+n'(t)^2) (integrated from a to b)
int(udv)=uv-int(vdu)

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems like it should be fairly straightforward-- the derivative vector ends up being (0, 6t, 3t^2)
1.) L=int[sqrt(0^2+(6t)^2+(3t^2)^2)] (over 0 to 1)
2.) L=int[sqrt(36t^2+9t^4)] (from 0 to 1)
3.) L=3int[t*sqrt(t^2+4)] (from 0 to 1)
4.) From here, I wanted to solve using integration by parts. However, that seemed to only result in a more complicated integral no matter whether I set t as u or as dv.

Can anyone give me a hint? I'd like to work it out on my own, but an idea as to which method to use would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to respond to this. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_Is_Fun said:

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the curve
(t) = (1; 3t2; t3) over the interval 0  t  1.

Homework Equations

L=sqrt(f'(t)^2+g'(t)^2+...+n'(t)^2) (integrated from a to b)
int(udv)=uv-int(vdu)

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems like it should be fairly straightforward-- the derivative vector ends up being (0, 6t, 3t^2)
1.) L=int[sqrt(0^2+(6t)^2+(3t^2)^2)] (over 0 to 1)
2.) L=int[sqrt(36t^2+9t^4)] (from 0 to 1)
3.) L=3int[t*sqrt(t^2+4)] (from 0 to 1)
4.) From here, I wanted to solve using integration by parts. However, that seemed to only result in a more complicated integral no matter whether I set t as u or as dv.

Can anyone give me a hint? I'd like to work it out on my own, but an idea as to which method to use would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to respond to this. :)

Us integration by substitution. Is not the factor t connected to the derivative of t2+4?

ehild

Thank you!

Can't believe I missed that...

1. What is arc length in multivariable calculus?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or path in a two or three-dimensional space. It is often represented by the symbol "s" and is calculated using the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the coordinates of the curve.

2. How is arc length different from distance?

Arc length takes into account the curvature of a curve or path, while distance only considers the straight-line distance between two points. Arc length is also calculated using integrals, while distance is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the formula for computing arc length?

The formula for computing arc length in multivariable calculus is:
s = ∫ab √[(dx/dt)2 + (dy/dt)2 + (dz/dt)2]dt
where a and b represent the starting and ending points of the curve, and x, y, and z represent the coordinates of the curve.

4. What are some real-world applications of arc length?

Arc length has many real-world applications, including calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the length of a curved path on a map, and finding the length of a wire needed to wrap around a curved surface. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the amount of material needed for a curved structure.

5. What are some tips for computing arc length?

Some tips for computing arc length in multivariable calculus include breaking the curve into smaller segments and using the formula for arc length of a parametric curve. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and to simplify the integrand as much as possible before solving. Additionally, double-checking the calculation and units can help ensure accurate results.