I'm stuck on cannon ball qusetion can any one help

In summary: M, the conversation discusses the trajectory of a cannon ball fired from flat ground with no air resistance. The cannon has a maximum range of 1125m and a maximum elevation of 30 degrees. It also states that the cannon ball has a mass of 1.36kg and each time it hits the ground, its kinetic energy is reduced by 75%. The force needed to break a 1 cm thick kneecap is 12000 N. Given this information, it is not possible to determine the exact distance the cannon ball was fired from, as it could have ricocheted an unknown number of times before hitting the person's knee. However, the information can be used to calculate the muzzle velocity and firing angle of the cannon ball
jgerco
the question is how far away was a cannonball fired?

we know that the
-cannonball ricocheted along the ground an unknown amount of times before hitting the persons kneecap and shattering it.
-a three pound cannon ball has a mass of 1.36kg
-the maximum range of the cannon is 1125m
-the maximum elevation of the cannon is 30 degrees
-the cannon was on flat ground
-acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 ms-2
-no air resistance
-a kneecap is 1 cm thick
-the force needed to break a kneecap is 12000 N
-the cannon ball was about to hit the ground
-the cannon muzzle was at the same height as his knee
-the angle of incidence and reflection are the same 30 degrees for evry time it hits the ground
-each time the ball hits the ground its kinetic energy is reduced by 75%

any help to this question would be much appreciated and if you think you have the answers to my question could you please e-mail me at mmm_freak@yahoo.com.au thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
jgerco said:
the question is how far away was a cannonball fired?

we know that the
-cannonball ricocheted along the ground an unknown amount of times before hitting the persons kneecap and shattering it.
-a three pound cannon ball has a mass of 1.36kg
-the maximum range of the cannon is 1125m
-the maximum elevation of the cannon is 30 degrees
-the cannon was on flat ground
-acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 ms-2
-no air resistance
-a kneecap is 1 cm thick
-the force needed to break a kneecap is 12000 N
-the cannon ball was about to hit the ground
-the cannon muzzle was at the same height as his knee
-the angle of incidence and reflection are the same 30 degrees for evry time it hits the ground
-each time the ball hits the ground its kinetic energy is reduced by 75%

any help to this question would be much appreciated and if you think you have the answers to my question could you please e-mail me at mmm_freak@yahoo.com.au thank you
Kind of an odd question. But it provides some little clues.

Use the information about the cannon ball trajectory to determine the muzzle velocity of the cannon ball. Since the ball hits the ground with an angle of incidence of 30 deg. what does that tell you about the firing angle?

The problem with this question is that the cannon ball can break the knee on any number of bounces, so I don't see that there would be just one answer.

AM

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this question. First, we need to consider the physics involved in the situation. The cannonball's trajectory can be described using the equations of projectile motion. We know the initial velocity of the cannonball (based on the maximum range and elevation of the cannon) and we can calculate the time it takes for the cannonball to reach the ground using the equation t = 2Vsin(theta)/g, where V is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Next, we need to take into account the ricochets and the reduction in kinetic energy each time the cannonball hits the ground. This will require some calculations using the conservation of energy and the coefficient of restitution (which describes the amount of energy lost during a collision).

Finally, we need to consider the force needed to break a kneecap and the thickness of the kneecap. This will allow us to determine the distance at which the cannonball would have enough energy to shatter a kneecap.

It would be helpful to have more information, such as the initial velocity of the cannonball and the angle at which it was fired. If you have this information, please provide it so we can assist you better.

In the meantime, I suggest you review the equations for projectile motion and conservation of energy, and try to apply them to this situation. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please feel free to reach out to me or consult with a physics teacher or tutor. Good luck!

Related to I'm stuck on cannon ball qusetion can any one help

1. What is the cannon ball question?

The cannon ball question is a physics problem that involves determining the distance a cannon ball will travel when fired at a specific angle and velocity.

2. How do I solve the cannon ball question?

To solve the cannon ball question, you will need to use the laws of motion and basic trigonometry to calculate the distance traveled by the cannon ball.

3. What information do I need to solve the cannon ball question?

You will need to know the initial velocity of the cannon ball, the angle at which it was fired, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can you provide an example of solving the cannon ball question?

Sure, let's say a cannon ball is fired at an initial velocity of 50m/s at an angle of 45 degrees. Using the formula d = v²sin(2θ)/g, we can calculate the distance traveled to be approximately 127 meters.

5. Are there any tips for solving the cannon ball question?

Yes, it's important to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Also, breaking down the problem into smaller steps can make it easier to solve.